• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you help to dress me for my new office job?

collegeguy88

Reaction score
I have no doubt that there are all kinds of these posts, and I'm very aware of the Styleforum 101 posts which are quite fantastic, but there's nothing quite as good as collective advice! So your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Here's the scoop: I just started working in an office environment with suits sans jackets and other accessories. I bought a bunch of stuff but would really like to step up my game (and at least have all the essentials covered).

This album has all my shirts and ties: http://imgur.com/a/HyhVy#0. My pants are okay for now: three slim fit wool dress pants (one navy, one charcoal, and one brown). I also have a nice black dress belt and Allen Edmond oxfords. I'll buy some brown ones when the money is there. I'm happy with the shirts but would LOVE to hear some advice on what to get next. Most importantly, I feel very inadequate in the ties department. The picture with the four ties basically shows my standard rotation of ties. The picture with many ties includes the rest of my ties in my collection which I don't wear as confidently. Are any of those stylish ties? With which matching shirts? Exactly which ties should I buy?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by "suits sans jacket?" isn't that just a pair if dress pants and a button-up shirt? You probably don't want to wear your suit pants without the jacket, especially if they have pin stripes. It will look like you lost or forgot your suit jacket. Solids might be fine, though be warned: navy odd pants aren't that great either. Just don't try wearing them with an odd jacket.

To your question about ties: you really shouldn't be wearing them without a jacket. Are you required to wear a tie? If not, then that problem is solved. If so, then can you get away with wearing a jacket either in the form of a suit or an odd jacket paired with pants?

Last edited:

sturm07

Reaction score
I would say get a nice slim tie if you are going to go business casual without the sport coat. That is if you are required to wear a tie. If not, don't.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say get a nice slim tie if you are going to go business casual without the sport coat. That is if you are required to wear a tie. If not, don't.
It isn't going to help. Tie thickness is a function of lapel width (which is a function of shoulder width and style, to a point). Since the lapel width is 0, the tie width should be 0.

HughJ

Reaction score
I immediately had the same concern as msulinski. If the pants mentioned are from a suit, you are wearing them out and getting them cleaned at a greater rate than the rest of the suit. I think medium to lighter grey wool pants would be a logical next step.

As for the ties, other than the navy stripe, some of your better looking ties are the ones not in your rotation IMHO. Looking at the collection, what jumps out at me is the lack of texture. You like your ties a little more on the plain side evidently....can't go wrong with some solid knits then.

RyanH

Reaction score
I think that you should just dress in whatever you think youll look the best in. If you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good you perform good!

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the great advice so far! Unfortunately, the office attire is dress pants, button up, and tie. I bought some standalone wool dress pants so that I'm not ruining my suits. I'll certainly try to get that policy changed.

In the meantime, could anyone help me with my specific tie problem? I'm really looking for specific thoughts on my current ties as well as specific colors and patterns that could look good with my clothes now.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion, if you are worried about the ties, run to a local thrift store and pick up some decent quality ties. Get a wide variety of basic ties and see what they go with when you get home. Around here, $2 is the going rate for almost any tie. If you buy some that don;'t match anything, you're not out that much and you can find something down the road that they go with.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the great advice so far! Unfortunately, the office attire is dress pants, button up, and tie. I bought some standalone wool dress pants so that I'm not ruining my suits. I'll certainly try to get that policy changed.
In the meantime, could anyone help me with my specific tie problem? I'm really looking for specific thoughts on my current ties as well as specific colors and patterns that could look good with my clothes now.
If you are just starting a new job, that may not be the best move.

Given that you are required to wear a tie, do you think you could also wear a sportcoat without an issue? Does anyone else in the office wear jackets or suits?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't do knits or bowties. You'll look really out of place. Don't try to get the office dress code to be adjusted so it's more formal. You'll look like an asshole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads