• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you have alterations done by a poorly dressed tailor?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I get shirts made by a guy who always seems to be shirtless, so sure
smile.gif
Actually my tailor in Australia waybackwhen was an 80 yr old Sicilian guy who always wore bad pants, slippers and wifebeater with braces on. He did great work, so no complaints from me.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailor can work on garments for himself, a plastic surgeon cannot work on himself.

Still, I've met all my tailors through word of mouth, and a few of them I would not call well dressed. Yet they have always done great work.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't matter to me, I'd rather judge his work from the suits/shirts on display or worn by people.

rsmeyer

Reaction score
At least I would know that he didn't do the fittings on his own garment-like going to a new barbershop, and picking the barber with the worst haircut-he didn't give it to himself.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
As long as he follows my specifications, does terrific work, I'm fine. That is given that you know what you want. I don't expect badly dressed tailors to give me pointers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the product is good, that's what counts. If you don't know how good the product is, there's your problem.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he dresses very well someone has to pay for. For me it goes without.

litho

Reaction score
my past hairdresser was bald

tlmusic

Reaction score
My favorite tailor always wears sweatpants, a sweatshirt and crocs. But, his work is extraordinary and that is what matters. Actually, I saw him in a suit once--when he had to travel to visit an out of state VIP client.

Azure

Reaction score
My taylor is a 60 years old woman who works for the local Corneliani and Canalli shop. She has a poor salary( 800 euros) but she is the only one capable of diminish shoulders without doing a mess.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Would you have alterations done by a poorly dressed tailor? Why/why not? Would it be the same as having cosmetic surgery done by an ugly surgeon?

It'd be more akin to learning karate from a fat sensei. It would cause me to pause and have a bit of a "physician heal thyself" moment. Now, if the tailor or sensei had been highly recommended by a trusted source, then no problem.

In any profession, you will find excellent practitioners who are poor dressers. It makes a bad first impression, but I don't care if the best doctor in town is also the worst dresser in town. Of course, it makes a difference whent its the tailor ... how can I trust that he knows what a properly fitted suit looks like if his suit is ill-fitting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads