• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you ever buy a wine with no intent to drink it?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
My father has a couple of 1961 mouton rothschilds hiding in his closet in Nigeria he's been saving for a special day. I don't understand it, though they are worth alot today. I want a taste badly.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
In a closet in Nigeria? Hate to break this to you, but I highly suspect you have some expensive vinegar there. I know I would not pay for them given the provenance.

This said, I would be more than willing to test one of them for your father.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well the house does have A/C (intermittent thanks to the pathetic power supply).

I hate to hijack this thread, but what do you guys know of folks who buy vintage bottles of wine? I found a group in the UK that offered to do so (after taking a look to see if it met some standards and providing a quote) if I sent a bottle to them, but I have no idea how to mail it safely from Nigeria over there (plus I don't think my dad wants to part with a bottle, even for the quoted price). I knew he should have let me take one when I was leaving a few months back...

* I'll provide the name of the group when I get in the office in the morning.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've drank a couple 100 point wines in my lifetime...it tasted alright compared to some shittier house wines i've tried, but i'm sure its magic was lost on wine tastebuds as undeveloped as mine. My parents are huge wine aficionados but i've never been able to get into it.

entropy kid

Reaction score
This is a slight shift from the original topic, but how often do you end up buying a wine, storing it for a couple of years and then you start to feel that it is so valuable that it should only be opened on a special occassion that never arises?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid
This is a slight shift from the original topic, but how often do you end up buying a wine, storing it for a couple of years and then you start to feel that it is so valuable that it should only be opened on a special occassion that never arises?

I haven't been cellaring wine long enough to have this happen, but I have bought some bottles with the intent to store and age that I'm sure I'll feel this when the time comes. I do have a couple of bottles that were given me that I already feel this way about.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Is it better to freeze wine if you are going to store it for a long period of time?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid

I can't think of any wines that could be stored for just "a couple of years" that would become so valuable as to not being able to drink it. It would probably have had an insane price at release to have an insane price just a few years down the road, like ScrEagle for instance, or a bunch of the dRCs.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
Is it better to freeze wine if you are going to store it for a long period of time?

I believe this would much damage the wine.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads