1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Would you date a girl who was incredibly unfashionable?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Distorbiant, Dec 24, 2012.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Broadly speaking, you are wrong. Everyone has to get dressed in the morning. And dress is the primary way in which people signal their cultural tribe. Even the phrase you use "dressed appropriately" is loaded. The girl might not have great taste, but clearly, you expect a certain mode of dress.

2. linstar

linstar Senior member

By "dressed appropriately" i am simply referring to dressing for the context of an event, e.g., business casual for a job with such requirements, something nicer for a traditional wedding etc. I don't think the phrase is loaded at all besides implying being presentable for the occasion. It's not some arbitrary subjective standard, dressing appropriately is not fashionable or unfashionable; it is a part of functioning in society. As you said, everyone has to get dressed in the morning, it's not a question of taste in context I used (or meant to use if you were confused by my writing), but society's expectation. Myself "expecting" a woman to dress to society's expectations has nothing to do with fashion, it is a requirement for the lifestyle I lead, plan to lead, and I'm sure most people on this forum and in general wish to lead. Being unable to meet this standard is certainly fine (for example living in a nudist colony), but me not choosing to date them would not be because of their fashion choice (or lack of clothing), but rather lifestyle choice. I wouldn't date a meth addict for the same reasons; that is not my lifestyle and against has nothing to do with their taste in clothing. For example, I remember some article a little while back about some reporter getting kicked out of a courtroom for wearing glitter bedazzled tights. That was not a question of being fashionable (or more likely unfashionable) but rather being inappropriate for the occasion.

Outside of societal requirements to dress appropriately, I still think that dressing is a way to express yourself, not indicative of a certain culture (though it can be used to express a culture). Culture is much more than a "dress code." Putting on a kimono does not suddenly signal how Japanese you are. Customs are more indicative of culture than dress. For example, in Taiwan plenty of people wear hip-hop inspired clothing; baggy southpole/fubu hoodies and jeans. They sure as shit didn't grow up gangbanging in the hood when they're in class from 6am till 10pm. It is an artistic expression of themselves.

EDIT: By the way did you get my PM/email regarding the geller styleforum buy that was mentioned?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  3. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Most people arent concerned with style. I feel like if you judge someone on style, you're gonna miss out on a lot of booty. Or good relationships.