Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Would you date a girl who was incredibly unfashionable?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Distorbiant, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What's your limit? Is an Old Navy hoodie a dealbreaker? Loose 80s Jeans? Lack of makeup? <$100 shoes?

Variables are negotiable.

Personally I love all women on this planet equally, but I am curious.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

2. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

If a girl is attractive, cool, and/or interesting enough then I don't care what she's wearing; I can always go shopping with her and help her step up her game.

3. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

The power of suggestion goes very far.

4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

if we're talking college sweat pants and a American Eagle Outfitter sweater, then yes.no.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

5. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I did and it was more or less a trainwreck, but I think theres ways it can work. Eventually it turned into snide remarks here and there "oh my little gayboy" "look at you mr fashionista" etc etc but in reality it was just her insecurities bleeding through. If you don't want negative attention don't talk about it AT ALL in front of them. Like anything, if a fashionless girl is faced with style and fashion, some may show ignorance instead of intrigue or interest. Best not to try to convince these types of people, I feel like some just aren't cut out for that type of lifestyle. There are countless numbers of girls I love and have little to no fashion sense (including my ex). It's just another trait that some people either have or do not.

6. Earnest Hemingway

I think that's a good thing. I would hate to put a lot of time and effort into a girl like that only for those insecurities to come out later. Better to weed them out early.

See above. Plus, anyone will show ignorance when you try to introduce them to something they've never really cared about before. I find that not having an interest in fashion is the same as not having an interest in music, or sculpture, or food. They'll be clueless at first, and may question if it's really worth getting into, but I think anyone with an open mind will eventually come around.

I'm all for the democratization of taste, but it is true that some people, if left to their own devices, will make terrible sartorial decisions. But if you introduce them to the basics of fit, if not fabric and design, they'll realize that they look better, and want to explore more. It never hurts to start her off with a gift of some nice simple jeans or shoes. Don't push too hard if she doesn't want to wear heels right away :D

7. Distorbiant

Hmm sometimes it's not so good to try to change someone. Kind of possessive, even.

8. Earnest Hemingway

I feel as though that applies to less superficial things, like drug addiction. This is just like introducing someone to a hobby of yours that you in enjoy, in the hopes that you'll both be able to enjoy it together. Obviously one wouldn't force something upon someone, but that's the wrong way to think about going about it. Further, the way she does or does not choose to join in will tell you a lot about the kind of person she is.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't think it would work out well in the end. Clothing and fashion are my biggest interests, so to be with someone I couldn't share them with would probably leave me feeling lonely.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

that's what styleforums for!

11. Distorbiant

Your fashion is pretty high level. It would be hard for someone to keep up.

12. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Purseforum.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Agree...

14. Distorbiant