• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would You Daily Drive a Scooter / Moped ?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what people have to say, particularly people that don't live in a big city.

I have two old 49cc scooters (Honda Express II and some other Honda...an elite?) sitting in the garage, I got the Express II out today and got it running good and fixed nice except for the blown headlight. This got me thinking: would I ever be caught dead on a scooter in public?

I learned how to ride on two wheels on a scooter. I treated it like a dirt bike when I was a wee little lad, and had a lot of fun. Now I drive and work on older cars and motorcycles, and while classic, they have a real aversion to running more than half the time. But I couldn't see myself riding a robin's egg blue scooter at 30mph down the road.

Then again, with no required insurance, tag, motorcycle license, and often over 100mpg, I can see why others would.

Anyone else's take?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wang rides a kick scooter. Maybe you guys can be buddies.

K

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Vespa, in San Francisco - yes
A Honda, in Houston/LA/Philly/etc. - no

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just know that almost everyone who sees you riding that will assume you got a DUI.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was so close to buying a scooter last year. but this is one that goes around 100km an hour, not a 49cc piece of crap.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
just know that almost everyone who sees you riding that will assume you got a DUI.

Funny; I mentioned the fact that I had a scooter to a guy I work with last week , and he was laying heavy pressure to me to sell it to him. He's on his third DUI and lost his license, and needs a way to get himself to work.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IN the suburbs no. In the city only for trips to work or running errands.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a bid city, sure. Out in the country probably not due to distances. But why not in the suburbs? As long as you can match the speed limit and not make yourself a target for annoyed car drivers I would think you'd be fine.

If you're okay riding one, why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

b

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
In a bid city, sure. Out in the country probably not due to distances. But why not in the suburbs? As long as you can match the speed limit and not make yourself a target for annoyed car drivers I would think you'd be fine. If you're okay riding one, why does it matter what anyone else thinks? b
+1 do you care about another person´s opinion of your clothes? but besides that what is the probelm with them? i know many people that use them in large cities and they do not have any image problems. i ted to use more pt when it is possible.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I considered getting a moped when I lived in San Francisco, and if I lived there today, I would almost certainly buy one and it would be my daily driver, provided I didn't live way out in the Sunset or something and work downtown... though even then I might consider it.

Today my daily commute, which is only about 20 minutes, is substantially on the highway, so there's no way I would consider it now. It is really only do-able under certain circumstances, IMO.

But I wouldn't really be put off by what people thought of me. I think, over the next 20 years or so, we might see a real sea change in how Americans transport themselves. I think we may see a lot fewer SUVs and a lot more scooters. So think of yourself as cutting-edge.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I think I will. I am in a position where I need to hold high risk insurance for another 14 months or so. Full liability (including high risk) runs me $8,000 a year for two cars... and I spend 95% of my time in the city. Combine the $8,000 with tow fees, parking tickets, speeding tickets, possible accidents or DUI's....... why I have my cars in storage and ride public transit!

The city I spend most of my time in right now is pretty small and I have no reason to ever want/need to leave for the suburbs for anything. A Tomos will have me all over town no problem for $100 a month in insurance (only because of my high risk sr-22 otherwise much cheaper)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to use this on a daily basis
piaggiomp34300208.jpg

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vespa in chicago. When I ride around the south side I sometimes get harrassed, but it's such a fantastic form of transportation in this city, I'm shocked not everyone has one. Parking is really easy, its fast, fun, and while not necessarily safe, I think it's worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads