• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you cuff your jeans?

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
It's cold where I live. I'd like extra protection at the ankle from the elements. I'm thinking of cuffing my APCs, maybe 1.5 inches, worn under 3/4 topcoat. How would this look? I do wear pocket square on the outside of the coat so would cuffed jeans make me look ridiculous? The cuff would be noticeable since it's of a different color than from the outside of the jeans.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some warmer trousers, or wear some thermals underneath or anything, because cuffed jeans sound horrible. People sometimes wear their jeans rolled up a little, but cuffed just sounds terrible, to me at least.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Absolutely not. I don't care how cold it is. Even people here don't do that, and it gets pretty cold.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Absolutely not. I don't care how cold it is. Even people here don't do that, and it gets pretty cold.
your avatar is one of my fav ICHC images. serious business.

Catechumen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
It's cold where I live. I'd like extra protection at the ankle from the elements. I'm thinking of cuffing my APCs, maybe 1.5 inches, worn under 3/4 topcoat. How would this look? I do wear pocket square on the outside of the coat so would cuffed jeans make me look ridiculous? The cuff would be noticeable since it's of a different color than from the outside of the jeans.

What kind of a ridiculous rationale is that? It won't make a bit of difference in the warmth of your ankles. Are you serious?

It's a silly look; makes it look like your mom bought your jeans extra long so you could grow into them and get more wear out of them. It may be fashionable (per the above posts), but it is not not an enduring look.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the look. But I would cuff before stacking.

2sweet

Reaction score
I would prefer not to. You can wear warm wool socks or thermal underwear if you need extra warmth.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
the pictures you guys posted make cuffed jeans look quite horrid. Are there any examples where this is done well?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't like the look. But I would cuff before stacking.

+Texa$

I hate it almost as much as I hate the skinny jean trend.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've never heard of people cuffing for warmth...

always have cuffed, width varies, think they're about 1 to 2 inches, wouldn't cuff boot cut though, the flaring makes curl out awkwardly

i don't cuff to the point the leg length is even, i usually give it enough room to stack a bit, the even inseam length looks a little too girly too me.

alot also depends on what type of denim you're wearing as cuffing looks much better with stiffer denim that doesn't get squished when stacked on

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
+Texa$

I hate it almost as much as I hate the skinny jean trend.

off topic but in general it's less about skinny and more about general clothing that fits and will show off shoes, that's what i was thinking when i started moving away from boot cuts

everything has continuously just got better fitting since the mid 90's when grunge and ganster rap were it, and hopefully it stays that way

our denim went from baggy to boot cut to straight/slim to skinny, it'd be nice for more options in the future, for example, like if trucker hats were not such a huge fad (von dutch then, ed hardy now) may of been an interesting option instead of new eras, but they got run out locally here because of their attachment to "trend" (i think in australia it became a staple though since they don't have the new era culture like we do in north america, and they just needed a hat to fill that hole)

i'm into sneakers and find it pretty pointless to have them if i'm going to tuck them away into boot cuts

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with straight or slightly-tapered jeans, but when you look like you're wearing denim tights...maybe you should try hitting puberty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads