• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you consider yourself a clothing elitest?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
It's been really interesting reading/sharing ideas w/SF members...

Regarding topics such as brands, leather, shoes, watches...

Lots of valuable bits of information to absorb and incorporate.

I have a general question to you all.

Would you consider yourselves clothing/fashion elitests?
Does that also equate into a form of social elitism for some folks?

Just noticed interesting blurbs like "well..for the common person" or for the "average person"...

Is this purposeful in intent, or not premeditated?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
there was recently a throb on "clothing snobbery" and I think the consensus was that many are snobs/elitists concerning THEMSELVES but not in a way that looks down on others.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With shirts, shoes, and undergarments I most certainly am. With suits, sport coats, and odd trousers, I'm an aspiring elitist.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
there was recently a throb on "clothing snobbery" and I think the consensus was that many are snobs/elitists concerning THEMSELVES but not in a way that looks down on others.
+1 But I would expand it in my case to include snobbery directed to people who get expensive flashy garments lacking in substance (Prada anyone?
biggrin.gif
)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404

I have a general question to you all.

Are you conducting a survey?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
No not a survey...just learning about everyone...

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
+1 But I would expand it in my case to include snobbery directed to people who get expensive flashy garments lacking in substance (Prada anyone?
biggrin.gif
)

Hmm...I'm guilty of flashing some stuff from time to time. I'm a child of the "bling bling" generation. I do slip a diamond bracelet or bezeled watch underneath my italian suits from time to time.. I don't wear it OUTSIDE of the suit...of course.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
+1

But I would expand it in my case to include snobbery directed to people who get expensive flashy garments lacking in substance (Prada anyone?
biggrin.gif
)

You just keep TRYING to get put on my "styleforum politics" list, don't ya??? Not that I'm wearing an absurdly overpriced but fun Prada Plexi plastic watch with a $900 price tag and a 75-cent movement made in China.

Just kidding, of course. But, I agree with what's been said. I think most all of us are snobs with our own dress but don't carry that over to others. I couldn't care less if somebody is wearing Men's Wearhouse or Target or anything else; what I like is only that a person feels comfortable with themselves. I think we realize that most people just don't care that much, or have concerns outside of dress (I have friends who spend $100's of dollars a month on Criterion DVD's, others who drink away a decent car payment).

Where I DO like to make a snide comment, however, is when I'm around some egomaniac asshole (usually working in sales or as a stock broker... I don't know why) who keeps talking about his Armani jacket like it is what will be worn during the second coming. THEN, it's fun to be a complete ass.

Growing up in the South, I've seen older men going to church whose entire ensemble probably cost less than some of us spend on a pair of underwear and yet it looked wonderful and flawless. I'd never make a comment, not just because it looks great, but because this guy wears what he feels best in.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You just keep TRYING to get put on my "styleforum politics" list, don't ya??? Not that I'm wearing an absurdly overpriced but fun Prada Plexi plastic watch with a $900 price tag and a 75-cent movement made in China. Just kidding, of course. But, I agree with what's been said. I think most all of us are snobs with our own dress but don't carry that over to others. I couldn't care less if somebody is wearing Men's Wearhouse or Target or anything else; what I like is only that a person feels comfortable with themselves. I think we realize that most people just don't care that much, or have concerns outside of dress (I have friends who spend $100's of dollars a month on Criterion DVD's, others who drink away a decent car payment). Where I DO like to make a snide comment, however, is when I'm around some egomaniac asshole (usually working in sales or as a stock broker... I don't know why) who keeps talking about his Armani jacket like it is what will be worn during the second coming. THEN, it's fun to be a complete ass. Growing up in the South, I've seen older men going to church whose entire ensemble probably cost less than some of us spend on a pair of underwear and yet it looked wonderful and flawless. I'd never make a comment, not just because it looks great, but because this guy wears what he feels best in.
Funny you say that, I'm employed at a very large and well known financial institution where I see those guys you mention all the time. The fundmanagers who have that Armani talk... I'm more..just interested in getting some of the finest fabrics/clothing available....they just interest me, and appeal for their quality/craftsmanship. IN learning of more things, you feel cheated/almost lied to regarding common items and being brainwashed into appreciating them, when there is much more out there. It's like drinking dirty water your entire life, and realizing there's pure clean water out there. Yes I can appreciate those who are happy in their situations..and I would be too if I only knew dirty water, but I've been exposed to the clean water and there's no turning back after that.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like well-made clothes.

I don't hate somebody who doesn't wear and/or cannot afford well-made clothes.

I don't hate, but do lament the people who can afford and do in fact buy expensive clothing but choose to buy a "label" that is by and large crap. I think that mentality is shared by many here, and if anything I think it's sort of anti-elitist in the sense that it's a waste of good money to buy a label sewn on a piece of crap.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You just keep TRYING to get put on my "styleforum politics" list, don't ya??? Not that I'm wearing an absurdly overpriced but fun Prada Plexi plastic watch with a $900 price tag and a 75-cent movement made in China.

Just kidding, of course. But, I agree with what's been said. I think most all of us are snobs with our own dress but don't carry that over to others. I couldn't care less if somebody is wearing Men's Wearhouse or Target or anything else; what I like is only that a person feels comfortable with themselves. I think we realize that most people just don't care that much, or have concerns outside of dress (I have friends who spend $100's of dollars a month on Criterion DVD's, others who drink away a decent car payment).

Where I DO like to make a snide comment, however, is when I'm around some egomaniac asshole (usually working in sales or as a stock broker... I don't know why) who keeps talking about his Armani jacket like it is what will be worn during the second coming. THEN, it's fun to be a complete ass.

Growing up in the South, I've seen older men going to church whose entire ensemble probably cost less than some of us spend on a pair of underwear and yet it looked wonderful and flawless. I'd never make a comment, not just because it looks great, but because this guy wears what he feels best in.

Ok, fine... that's two so far with you... where's my cameraphone and my notepad, I have some boxes and usernames to scribble down
laugh.gif

The E/A's you mention are indeed a tiresome lot. And popping a bubble of that magnitude can be entertaining
lol8[1].gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to express my sentiments graphically:

untitledns5.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Allow me to express my sentiments graphically:

untitledns5.jpg

STICKY THIS!

We need that to be up on the right hand corner of the site page, where there is some empty space
smile.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads