• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you commute to work wearing these sneaker-sole monstrosities?

Would you wear these monstrosities to commute to work (then swap out for real shoes)?

• Total voters

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing leather sole dress shoes really does suck if you're going into the subway / walking long distances every morning. It's very grating to be slapping the pavement with no arch support or cushioning.

Of course, the obvious answer is just to get a nice pair of Vass/Alden/C&J with a crepe sole. But even then, you're not getting the same support as a sneaker.

So I did some Googling and sure enough, Cole Haan has started making dress shoes with Nike sole technology.

They look ridiculous but kind of cool at the same time. I would definitely wear these on a commute every morning, then swap them out if needed at the office... but only IF they could be made with a sleek C&J last and non-CG leather. (And if the soles could somehow be Goodyear welted)

C&J should license New Balance sole tech. That would be amazing.

Waiting for SF's collective head to explode

http://www.colehaan.com/mens-origin...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI_Kk7yLodYCFcNTDAod6AIAqg

shopping

shopping

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will say that my Vass P2 last dainite sole shoes are very comfortable. They feel like they absorb shock better than C&Js. Might have to do with the higher-than-C&J heel and weight distribution.

I would still wear these though if they were on a better last and had better leather

Vitals

Reaction score
I wear the Allen Edmonds LGA Wingtip when I'll be pounding the pavement all day.
Very comfortable, light, and the sole is easier on the eyes.
allenedmonds_shoes_Yates_walnut.jpg

yanagi

Reaction score
I drive to work and if it snows heavily during the winter, I wear Bean boots and then swap shoes in my office. So if I had a longer walk to the office, I suppose I'd just wear sneakers like Nike Free's before swapping.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear the Allen Edmonds LGA Wingtip when I'll be pounding the pavement all day.
Very comfortable, light, and the sole is easier on the eyes.

Not buying it, brah!

Sure those are probably more comfortable relative to a leather sole, but they will not be as comfortable as a sneaker sole.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drive to work and if it snows heavily during the winter, I wear Bean boots and then swap shoes in my office. So if I had a longer walk to the office, I suppose I'd just wear sneakers like Nike Free's before swapping.

Looks terrible though with dress pants or a suit.

mrFurly

Reaction score
I came across a new pair of those Cole Haans in a thrift for like $10...I still passed on them.
Really not into them...they look horrible IMO.

You seem to like them...so get them.
I just couldnt do it.

AE has a few rubber bottomed options for those days you have to walk a lot.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I came across a new pair of those Cole Haans in a thrift for like $10...I still passed on them.
Really not into them...they look horrible IMO.

You seem to like them...so get them.
I just couldnt do it.

AE has a few rubber bottomed options for those days you have to walk a lot.

Not going to get them for the reasons mentioned above. But would if they were nicer.

Vitals

Reaction score
Not buying it, brah!

Sure those are probably more comfortable relative to a leather sole, but they will not be as comfortable as a sneaker sole.

If you get the chance, try them out.
The sole is very soft and for me, they are extremely comfortable.
The downside is that these soles do not have the reputation for being very durable.
I only wear them once a month at most, so durability hasn't been an issue.

ledouche

Reaction score
I would wear these with jeans or cotton pants, but I don't know if I'd change them out when I got to work (or school these days). I've been feeling a lot more casual recently, but I don't think I'll ever be streetwear casual, so something like these would fit the bill.

If I remember right, the last POTUS often wore a pair of Cole Haan shoes like these.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would wear birkenstock dress/casual shoes for a commute before wearing those things . . . they aren't pretty but they are comfortable. I have a pair I bought 15ish years ago that I have worn maybe three times.

(not my shoes in the pic)

birk dress.jpg

Better to wear something more casual or beaters for the commute and keep a pair or 2 to change into in the office IMO.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Those looks like geriatric orthopedic shoes. If you're going to go super casual sole, go full-on tech-y looking Nike sole

Last edited:

WatchMeSpend

Reaction score
I know a person who wears these all day long:

81Z9fnXwtTL._UY575_.jpg

C23753_D.jpg

Hamilton Grand Wingtips.

Both of us have a few Allen Edmonds and at least one pair of Cole Haans. The Cole Haans are easy to wear all day and don't look odd. Most people assume when you swap between walnut Allen Edmonds wingtips and the Hamilton Grand Wingtips in British Tan (not really British Tan) that they are the same shoe.

My friend may have to stand the entire day at a tradeshow. I have walked 10K plus steps in my CH loafers. If it's raining outside, we put away the AE/CJ/Aldens and wear the CH with no fear.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Those looks like geriatric orthopedic shoes. If you're going to go super casual sole, go full-on tech-y looking Nike sole

yeah they have an ordinary birkenstock footbed and that results in a very oddly shaped toe box

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads