• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you carry the same briefcase as your boss?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought of getting a Tumi 26041 briefcase, but my boss beat me to it and got one first. Sigh......

Do you guys think that I should get it?

StagRaven

Reaction score
I would say no, as it may come across that you are trying too hard. Unless your relationship with the boss is much more casual, there's just too great a chance of it going poorly. That's how I feel, anyway.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought of getting a Tumi 26041 briefcase, but my boss beat me to it and got one first. Sigh......

Do you guys think that I should get it?
Of course not... Get the next better one this way he thinks that you have more money than he does, which is always what you want them to think when asking for a raise.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A guy I worked for in the advertising business bought a stainless Rolex, and was sooooooooo proud of it. He very much enjoyed shooting his cuffs and letting the light glint off the crystal of his watch. One day I wore my solid gold President to the office. I saw the boss look at my watch, but said nothing. He never flashed his watch again.
smile.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
One day I wore my solid gold President to the office. I saw the boss look at my watch, but said nothing. He never flashed his watch again.
smile.gif
Sadly, you were fired the next day...
cool.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was kidding. I actually worked with him for several more years. We keep in touch. And he still has his stainless Rolex.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I aped my immediate boss, I would be going to work in T-shirt and blue jeans much of the time. Perish the thought. Kinda funny: If any other employee came to work in a business suit, they would immediately suspect he had been to a job interview. When I do it, they just know it's me being me.
biggrin.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JLibourel)they just know it's me being me.
Admittedly from one of our older and wiser (yes, I know I'm prejudiced) members, but That's The Attitude. DRESS FOR YOURSELF. If your boss can't (or doesn't want to) keep up, maybe you ... should be s/he.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A guy I worked for in the advertising business bought a stainless Rolex, and was sooooooooo proud of it. He very much enjoyed shooting his cuffs and letting the light glint off the crystal of his watch. One day I wore my solid gold President to the office. I saw the boss look at my watch, but said nothing. He never flashed his watch again.
smile.gif
one of the guys who works for me had a big crisis a few months ago - he basically wanted me to double his base salary and he threatened to quit if I didn't. since he is valuable, I worked at gettign him more money, espectially since he kept talking about how he needed it and he couldn't pay for what his family needed, etc. then, after we are done closing his new package, he showed me a video clip of his son on his computer. his son was playing in a very nice in ground pool, in the yard of a very nice villa. as I know this guy lives in an apartment, I asked it this was at his "club". no, this was his weekend house. if I had known he had a weekend house with an inground pool he might not have gotten the raise.

bch

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I've never had a boss in my adult life, but I have been one...

Get the briefcase. Tell you liked his so much you got one for yourself. Normal men don't see bad intentions or "sucking up" in such things.

bch

Reaction score
He never flashed his watch again.
smile.gif
one of the guys who works for me had a big crisis a few months ago - he basically wanted me to double his base salary and he threatened to quit if I didn't. since he is valuable, I worked at gettign him more money, espectially since he kept talking about how he needed it and he couldn't pay for what his family needed, etc. then, after we are done closing his new package, he showed me a video clip of his son on his computer. his son was playing in a very nice in ground pool, in the yard of a very nice villa. as I know this guy lives in an apartment, I asked it this was at his "club". no, this was his weekend house. if I had known he had a weekend house with an inground pool he might not have gotten the raise.[/quote] I don't think it's rational to make a decision to bump an employee's salary based upon how well he "apparently" is doing. Pay the guy what you deem him to be worth or watch him walk. If he's profitable, you can afford to pay him more. Of course you must balance the opportunity cost of hiring a cheaper, more profitable worker. It's business. I've always believed you don't begrudge another man his salary, even if he is an employee. Notwithstanding the above, the guy is an idiot for showing you the video immediately after securing the raise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads