• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this constitute a "Slim Fit" Suit?

vigilantex69

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was looking at a Versace suit with these measurements,

Jacket: SINGLE VENTED 40R

Length 30

Shoulders 17.75

Chest 20.25

Sleeve 27.25

Would this fit as a slim suit? I have a normal 40R and it fits kind of big. I was comparing these measurements to a H&M slim suit with these measurements.

Slim Skinny Fit Jacket Size 40r - CHEST PIT TO PIT : 20.5 INCH
SLEEVE: 26 inch Shoulder to Shoulder 17.5 inch
Length measuring from back top collar to hem: 30 inch

Could you guys tell me which one is slimmer? I want it to fit tighter than the sport coat I have already. By the way I am about 5 10 and 175 pounds. Thanks!!!

hrb

Reaction score
both of those fit more like a smaller 38. (which you quite possibly are.)

vigilantex69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrb
both of those fit more like a smaller 38. (which you quite possibly are.)

I normally was sized at a 40R, but I was trying to find something skinnier. I am just not really sure which one of those fit slimmer. I mean The price difference is obvious, but Versace is a much nicer suit.

hrb

Reaction score
have you tried them on or are you checking them out on ebay? their measurements are, obviously quite comparable. The majority of the H&M stuff is cut slim, as is suggested by the measurements you posted above. typical shoulder measurement for a 40R lies at approximately 18.5, so those will feel significantly more 'snug' than a standard 40R jacket.

That being said, if your current 40R's fit you well in the shoulder, these jackets will be tight. (And look accordingly.) Given your height and weight you could very well be 38R and just be wearing a size up. very common mistake. Best bet is to go try them on and, if you like what you see in the mirror, buy it. good luck.

chet31

Reaction score
I am 6'0", 160 lbs, most would call me "slim." That coat would fit me well (except the sleeves would be too long). I usually have to look @ 40R suits OTR because I have a big ass for a slim guy, but generally a 38R coat fits me better, or even a 36R or 37R. I have no idea if any of this is helping.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chet31
I am 6'0", 160 lbs, most would call me "slim." That coat would fit me well (except the sleeves would be too long). I usually have to look @ 40R suits OTR because I have a big ass for a slim guy, but generally a 38R coat fits me better, or even a 36R or 37R. I have no idea if any of this is helping.

If 38 jackets fit you correctly, then why would you ever size up to a jacket too large just so the pants fit? Doesn't really make sense. Pants are much more customizable, not jackets. Just get the seat on the 38's pants taken out....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh f*ck me.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vigilantex69
Jacket: SINGLE VENTED 40R

Length 30
Shoulders 17.75
Chest 20.25
Sleeve 27.25

Those look more like 38R measurements to me than 40R.

I've found that shoulders for most 38's range from 17.5 - 18.5, so it would even be on the slimmer side of a 38!

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Those look more like 38R measurements to me than 40R.

I've found that shoulders for most 38's range from 17.5 - 18.5, so it would even be on the slimmer side of a 38!

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, okay, let's get serious:

Does it have high armholes?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Okay, okay, let's get serious:

Does it have high armholes?

+1000!

High armholes are critical unless you want to look like an old man.

chet31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
If 38 jackets fit you correctly, then why would you ever size up to a jacket too large just so the pants fit? Doesn't really make sense. Pants are much more customizable, not jackets. Just get the seat on the 38's pants taken out....

I don't, and you are correct, I was trying to respond in the context of the OP's first post and kill four birds w/ one stone, and hell, never mind ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads