• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this be wrong/unethical?

peree

Reaction score
hello,

so after browsing some threads I've wanted to buy some beautiful C&J belgraves from Plal but I cannot afford to wait as I have an interview in two days. I was wondering if it was ok to buy C&J belgrave from a retailer near me at the more expensive price and then wear those and when I receive the belgraves I also ordered from Plal, return the new ones I received from Plal to the store.

Technically this isn't wrong right? since I'm returning the same brand new shoe? Do you think this is ok? Are there serial numbers or something that might not identify the shoe as the same shoe?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
No offence, but that does seem wrong and a little bit douchey (remember, I said no offence). Just live with what you have and make your mark on the interview with your credentials, not your shoes.

huy

Reaction score
If you have to ask, you already know the answer.

peree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
No offence, but that does seem wrong and a little bit douchey (remember, I said no offence). Just live with what you have and make your mark on the interview with your credentials, not your shoes.

sigh i would but my current alternative that i wear before i found this forum is a square toe kenneth cole

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly no harm, but whether it's no foul is up for debate. It's much preferred to the wear-it-once-then-return-it practice that some partake of. It is somewhat dishonest. If you badly need a pair of dress shoes, and you've left it to the last minute, perhaps it's simply a matter of having to bite the bullet and pay the extra hundred dollars-ish, or doing something that obviously doesn't sit perfectly with your conscience (or you wouldn't be asking). Is that moral doubt really worth ~$100 to you?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they may or may not do this, but CJs have serial numbers on the inside of the shoe. They may look at in case of a return.

also, Plal frequents the forum, so you probably screwed yourself already.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll get a more favorable response from the board in this instance if you just went with your KC's than pull this stunt. I never thought I would have to compare KC and C&J, but there you are.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by peree
sigh i would but my current alternative that i wear before i found this forum is a square toe kenneth cole

Most people think those square toes are..how shall I say..'in fashion'. Your prospective employer may even comment on them and refer to his own 'silver technology' model
tounge.gif

peree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
they may or may not do this, but CJs have serial numbers on the inside of the shoe. They may look at in case of a return.

also, Plal frequents the forum, so you probably screwed yourself already.

I don't see why this would be bad for Plal? I'm returning the new shoes from Plal to the retail store. Not to mention I already got the shipping confirm. But anyways I don't see why it would be an issue? It's not like I'm scamming them, and its certainly better than just wearing their shoes for a day and returning them...

peree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I think you'll get a more favorable response from the board in this instance if you just went with your KC's than pull this stunt. I never thought I would have to compare KC and C&J, but there you are.

how is this a stunt? Can you please explain how I am cheating a retailer?

satorstyle

Reaction score
Is the job that imperative that a particular brand of shoe has to be purchased? Your interviewer will most likely have no idea what brand you are wearing and probably will a square toe shoe on as well. Most men do not put much thought in their appearance. Wear what you have and order the shoe you want.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have justified this in your mind, so just run with it. Good luck with your interview.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Is the job that imperative that a particular brand of shoe has to be purchased? Your interviewer will most likely have no idea what brand you are wearing and probably will a square toe shoe on as well. Most men do not put much thought in their appearance. Wear what you have and order the shoe you want.

+1. The shoe will not impact your interview.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds wrong, but...is it really? it's a form of arbitrage, but no one is negatively impacted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads