• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this be considered as starving myself?

wat?

Reaction score
I'll just tell you about myself: I'm 5'10, weigh around 175, have a medium built(large chest,some what muscular thighs), and active. Anyways, I exercise practically everyday but would my routine seem dangerous?

My Routine: *Eat breakfast around 200 calories *lunch around 11-12 I eat a healthy salad around (200-300)
* Then I run on my treadmill for an hour I lose 600calories
*On my breaks at work eat light snacks around (100-200)x2
*Then dinner another healthy salad

If done everyday I know I can easily lose weight but is it healthy in the end? Also, I'll throw out that I workout at the gym on spmedays at night. Would this routine put my body in starvation mode? :/ bare with me the mistakes this was done ph my iPod touch haha.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you want to consume something along the lines of less than 1,000 calories/day and couple that with a catabolic activity like running for an hour? You'll drop weight, but your body will look terrible and you'll probably screw up your metabolism if you stick with it long enough.

Add on top of that it sounds like your diet is void of protein and healthy fats and this reads like a recipe for crashing and burning.

You'll lose some weight, eventually stall out, realize you can't keep eating like a bird, start eating again and then put all the weight back on plus more.

wat?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
So you want to consume something along the lines of less than 1,000 calories/day and couple that with a catabolic activity like running for an hour? You'll drop weight, but your body will look terrible and you'll probably screw up your metabolism if you stick with it long enough.

Add on top of that it sounds like your diet is void of protein and healthy fats and this reads like a recipe for crashing and burning.

You'll lose some weight, eventually stall out, realize you can't keep eating like a bird, start eating again and then put all the weight back on plus more.

I forgot to say that I do throw in protein in my salads. Overall I want to lose weight but have energy at the same time...there's been days where just eating salad,salad,and more salads has made me feel really tired and weak while working. I'm wanting to lose at least 15pounds,to be into the 160's or should I start building "lean" muscle?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first of all: ironaddicts.com short version: find out your daily caloric needs (either track what you eat for a week and average it, assuming you stay the same weight-ish, or google a BMR calculator and use the harris-benedict equation) subtract 500 from that number divide that number into the number of meals per day you'd like to eat eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight while eating within your calorie limit control/cycle your carbs do a strength-based lifting program - you can become stronger on a deficit, but size training won't work as well eating salad all day is good, assuming its not drowned in dressing, but you have to ensure you're still eating other stuff, too. don't fall into the trap of thinking that less calories = better weight loss, you're going to want to do this slow and steady for it to be really effective. heres some food for thought: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29502 http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23675 http://ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18063

Cognacad

Reaction score
It would not be considered as starving because you can survive off it. It is considered a "very low" calorie diet. Horrible in the long term, but at that rate you would be losing like 2 pounds a week, so wouldn't last that long anyway.

ktrp

Reaction score
I would bump lean protein to preserve lean mass. You'll be in ketosis and don't want to strip muscle mass to feed your brain.

Check out Lyle MacDonald's 'Rapid Fat Loss Handbook', it will be helpful given the kind of diet you're contemplating.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you eating for breakfast?

I would actually gradually change your regular diet. Replace all of your simple carbs with complex carbs. Complex carbs are marked as whole grain. Also running sprints is a lot better for burning fat than running distance. Look up interval training with sprints (HIIT). A good one is called Guerilla cardio.

I will list my diet hoping it helps you:

Breakfast: 1.5 bowls of oatmeal (I use Quaker Instant Oats) and 2 egg whites

Lunch: Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado on whole wheat bread

Afternoon snack: handful or nuts and string cheese

Dinner: Salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil as dressing or veggies and a small piece of meat (chicken, beef, or fish)

Cognacad

Reaction score
When you are this low in calories it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat it. 1200 calories in donuts or in lettuce, doesn't change much. Just make sure to take some multivitamins, and max out on protein if you are looking to gain any muscle at all during this time.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
people misuse the term "starving." familiarize yourself with ancel keys's famous starvation study before you carelessly throw the term around again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...ion_Experiment anyway 600 calories a day is pretty low and i would not recommend it if you're also trying to build muscle. you won't lose muscle mass as long as you maintain a good resistance training program, but you'll likely have trouble gaining mass. if you're only concerned about fat loss, i would still maintain a good resistance training program to prevent muscle loss, but be aware that 600 calories a day will be brutal, but barring any extenuating health conditions you may have, you should be fine. also, i would not recommend reading ironaddicts.com. i would recommend these sites instead: http://johnbarban.com/about/ http://www.evidencebasedfitness.blogspot.com/ http://bradpilon.com/meet-brad/

Steeze

Reaction score
Interesting that 1560 calories a day is considered semi-starvation. I know a lot of starving women...

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steeze
Interesting that 1560 calories a day is considered semi-starvation. I know a lot of starving women...

Except that it's not really an absolute number, it's relative to a persons requirements. For a small, relatively sedentary woman that is not semi-starvation.

Boss1982

Reaction score
Definitely start eating more. You could be lacking key nutrients that may do harm in the future.
A lot of experts say for a 180 pound individual, eat at least 2000-2200 calories with moderate exercise. More exerting exercise means more calories.

I was doing this rock hard challenge through muscle fitness and I was eating about 2700-3000 calories a day with a little more than 1 hour 15 mins of hardcore workouts. I felt strong and fit!

These days I am 180 and I average around 2200 with daily exercise.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
The only thing that's ever worked for me losing weight is cutting down on calories + exercise. If you only need to lose 5-10 lbs of fat, you're not going to look terrible if you go on a restricted calorie diet for a little while, as long as what little you eat is protien-rich and you are hydrated and not sleep-deprived. That's my experience anyway. I am not well-versed in the ways of 'bro science' though so there may be something I'm missing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads