• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would these shoes look silly with shirt/tie/khakis?

sunman42000

Reaction score
Seeking opinion, but i think my gut is probably right. I'm looking for a shoe to replace my boat shoes for the season as we move into what will soon be snow. I know i can just wear my bean boots to the car and then change into my RL darltons when i get inside at work, but am thinking these might be able to replace my boat shoes, and i could wear these in moderate snow. I wear khakis and a shirt and tie to work daily (ala most RL photos).

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-red-...nal-p_id156034

thoughts?

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Those shoes - they are not good.

I would really recommend a desert boot, but that's not a great snow option I realize.

if you are trying to replace your boat shoes, why buy a quarter-height boat shoe?

a-rock

Reaction score
With khakis, knitted tie, maybe a textured coat like flannel or tweed.... I like those shoes.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr
boat boots?

Looks like it. Those shoes seem to be in 2 minds. I'd either go with a boat shoe or a more traditional boot, something with a bit more weight.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be better if you just went with a normal deck shoe.

sunman42000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
It would be better if you just went with a normal deck shoe.

I'll still have deck shoes in the summer, but i need something for the winter. While i'll wear my heavy bean boots when there's lots of snow, i want something for when there's just a bit of snow on the ground and don't want to destroy my RL darltons

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly, no. Fugly, yes. Get some dress boots. Sierra Trading Post has/had some Trickers' Stow boots -- on par with your Darltons but boots with a Dainite sole. Snow is not going to hurt them. They were under $300 and infinitely better than these monstrosities. Boat boots? For the snow? How does that make sense. Really. Or get some captoe boots if that's too much wingtip for you. Maybe one of the Wolverine 1000 mile or whatever other boots you can find without a huge conspicuous lug outsole. Some pebble grain chukka boots with a Dainite sole. There are more appropriate choices for the job you need done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads