• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would these jeans be good buys?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I desperately need some denim and was thinking of getting these two off ebay because there are no good stores for me to try on stuff nearby.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7671&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5539&rd=1&rd=1

Do these look legitimate(non-knockoff) and do these brands fit pretty true to size? I really don't have much money at the moment until i can start my part time job next month. So i'd love to get these for cheap to actually start a denim collection if no one else bids on them. I know they're not top notch brands, but would these be good for someone who owns no decent denim or should i wait and save up some money for some other stuff(i was thinking PDC, diesel or something else i could try on at a store). I'd really appreciate some help as i'm pretty new to this. Thanks

Brian SD

Reaction score
Saltworks definitely beats out H&M in every department. I'm not a fan of that wash, but they are pretty cheap. You really dont look like a size 32 waist from your picture. I think these salt works have a better wash, and they're size 29. What is your height/weight? I dont think the random scratches around the lap on the ones you linked are a good feature. http://cgi.ebay.com/SALT-WORKS-Mens-...QQcmdZViewItem

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any Ross/Nordstrom Rack/TJ Maxx/Similar Discount stores in your town? I suggest going there if you want to get some cheaper denim to start your collection. Also welcome to the forum and Raw, nondistressed Denim is what we like here. If you want to stay relatively cheap and dont have any discount stores like above in your area try ordering Uniqlos or from my experience if you buy them on a decent sale (say $30-$40) Express has ok Jeans (nothing near the quality and look as say APC or any of the Japanese brands but you get what you pay for) and currently they do have some Raw denim.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well, not everyone here really likes the raw, selvage thing. Just the fetishists. I'd say salt works makes a pretty decent pair of jeans, for that kind of money ($14.99!!)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm close to Orlando and one of the malls there have a niemen marcus, bloomingdales and nordstroms. Next time i'm in town, i'll go by there and try on some stuff. Yea, i thought the marks on the front of the saltworks were weird too which would've eventually made me not buy them.

Those other saltworks you linked BrianSD look nice, but there is no way I would be able to fit in them. Maybe i'm less than a 32 because i'm used to wearing my jeans a bit lower, but i still don't think enough to be a 29.

I won't be in orlando until thanksgiving though. So would those H&M jeans really be just a waste of money? I'm not that familiar with H&M as i live in florida and there aren't any down here.

As far as express jeans go, i was thinking about it, but i wanted to start getting some better denim. The H&Ms were only an option because they were so cheap, not $60 like express. Express shirts are nice, but sometimes still fit a little baggy in the sides on me. There aren't as many cheaper clothes stores like H&M or zaras here.

Would Ross/TJ Maxx stores really have stuff like i'm looking for? I never would've thought. Thanks for all the help.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The H&M is no waste of money.

edmond

Reaction score
You must try them on first, if you have no a** then no brand of jean will look good.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
As far as express jeans go, i was thinking about it, but i wanted to start getting some better denim. The H&Ms were only an option because they were so cheap, not $60 like express. Express shirts are nice, but sometimes still fit a little baggy in the sides on me. There aren't as many cheaper clothes stores like H&M or zaras here.

Would Ross/TJ Maxx stores really have stuff like i'm looking for? I never would've thought. Thanks for all the help.

Ah, see thats why I said when they are on sale they are a decent buy, or if you get any kind of cupon online or in the mail. I have never paid retail for a pair of pants from there.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have some saltworks in 32 and i tried some on in a store in 32 just the other day.

I'm not a connoisseur or anything (wardrobe sucks compared to the rest of this forum), but they are very nice denim - quite heavy and good texture.

However, I wear a 32 in almost everything (i've even bought 33s before in some pants and they were only a little loose) but both the Saltworks I own and the ones i tried in the store were loose enough that they slip down on their own without a belt (granted, I'm skinny so not too much butt to hold them up).

So definitely go one size small from what you'd normally get if you get the Saltworks, unless you have enough of a butt to hold them up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads