• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Would poor quality shoes have Blake stitching?

Mr Lam

Reaction score
Hello Sartorialists,

I've looking at a specific pair of vintage leather tassel loafers online for quite some time now. They're exactly what I want, but I'm only iffy about the type of leather it is-- my biggest fear is that I'm stuck with genuine leather shoes if I buy.

Tried messaging the seller but they still haven't gotten back to me.

Had a closer inspection to what looks like Blake stitching, with a label stating "Genuine Leather Soles" and showing Biltrite sole with the cat paw logo.

I wanted to know if Blake stitching is reserved for quality top grain leather over poorer genuine leather. Obviously, it requires more labour so only buffoons would try to Blake stitch a genuine leather shoe, but who knows.

Appreciate the help guys.

Mr Lam

Reaction score
[edit: the shoes are showing a Biltrite heel]

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the kind of question that is impossible to answer with certainty, especially without knowing the maker or photos. Can a Blake stitched shoe use corrected grain leather (I assume this is what you mean by 'genuine leather')? Of course this is possible, why not? There are Goodyear-welted shoes that use corrected grain leather (e.g. Church's binder leather). You may be able to discern from photos that corrected grain leather shoes tend to be more shiny/glossy but that would be a subjective judgment.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.