• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would like to request opinion on used AE shoes I just bought

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They aren't bad. I personally prefer rounder toes, though. The Evanston has a chisel toe.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a pair. If you want a wingtip and something more casual, that's also on sale, get the Bel-Air instead. Its the exact same last with a slightly different upper. My cricism is that it's a little fussy with the wingtip and brogueing, plus in combo with the blutcher style lacing, but it's still a nice shoe
bel_air.JPG

blackwar12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've got a pair. If you want a wingtip and something more casual, that's also on sale, get the Bel-Air instead. Its the exact same last with a slightly different upper. My cricism is that it's a little fussy with the wingtip and brogueing, plus in combo with the blutcher style lacing, but it's still a nice shoe
bel_air.JPG

Wow, those are beautiful! I want to buy that, but currently even on sale they're still about $200 =/

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I vote this Most Uplifting Allen-Edmonds Thread of the Day.

I want everyone to look around so that each of you can envision exactly where you were at this very moment.

- B

Just think, this could have been a post in the 09/02/2010 Official Allen-Edmonds thread.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
Wow, those are beautiful! I want to buy that, but currently even on sale they're still about $200 =/

not true. I just called the AE Tent sale about a month ago and picked up a pair for about $150-160? (got the brown suede ones). They might be "seconds" though, I think mine were rejected becuase there was something about a small section of stitching, but WTF I wear them to walk on the ground and nobody nor I care about the "defect"

blackwar12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
not true. I just called the AE Tent sale about a month ago and picked up a pair for about $150-160? (got the brown suede ones). They might be "seconds" though, I think mine were rejected becuase there was something about a small section of stitching, but WTF I wear them to walk on the ground and nobody nor I care about the "defect"

Can you tell me a little bit more about this tent sale? I just knew of AE's existence about a month or so ago so I don't know much about the company, let alone sales that they run. I'd love to pick up shoes this good on the cheap, seconds be damned, haha.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
E's typically retail for about $350. Options: 1. As models get older they're often just discontinued to make way for new ones and the prices drop. so maybe you like a new model and keep it in mind and pick it up a year or two later for half the price from a retail store or the company directly. This is one of the big reasons they're so popular. They're decent entry level shoes, have a wide catalogue of styles, and can often be found at discount, plus are widely distributed so you can go try them on in a store and then buy online for cheaper. Plus the lasts are a set group and then just the uppers change, so you could generally buy any shoe on the same last blindly (I bought one, liked the fit, then bought 3 more with different uppers and they all generally fit the same) 2. AE's will sell their "seconds", ie slight rejects. They have an ebay store, plus two clearing centers in the USA. I think NY and OH? check their website for the phone numbers. They can search all their stock and send them out to you. 3. The tent sale. I think this is a yearly or bi yearly sale with some more discounts. I haven't actually gone TO the sale since I don't live there, but I'm guessing there may actually be some sort of tent or something. I'm picturing them pulling out all the old inventory. Anyway, I just called htem up and said "I'm size X, I fit great on the X last, what do you have available in terms of models and finishes?". Then wrote down the list, googled around for pics and bought a few. I just got the Bel-Air for about $160, and I'm pretty sure it was just a discontinued one since it wasn't marked as a seconf (you'll see a small black burned "W" or mark on the sole or inside the shoe - barely noticeable) anyone else want to comment?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads