• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would James Bond Wear a Dinner Jacket with Vents?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I went to see Edwin DeBoise of Steed today to commission a dinner jacket. I pretty much had a firm idea to go for a traditional one - SB, peak lapel, midnight blue barathea, grosgrain facings, no vents - when Edwin threw a spanner (or a wrench, depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on) and asked if I would like vents. He also helpfully added that his dinner jacket has vents, to ensure better drape when he puts his hands in his pockets.

I have to be honest that this made me hesitate - should I stick to "tradition", or should I adopt what could actually be a practical "innovation"? As usual, when faced with such dilemmas about black tie, I applied the WWJBD formula: What Would James Bond Do?

And for the life of me, I can't remember if James Bond ever wore a dinner jacket with vents. Did he ever? More importantly, would he?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do not ask what James Bond would do, ask what blackbowtie would do.

- B

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would Foofy do?
31100695-177x150-0-0.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I recall Bond wearing a dinner jacket with vents. Although it may have been in one of the Roger Moore outings - A View to a Kill perhaps?

I don't know if this will have the answer but I always find it to be a good resource for Bond questions... http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/

rs232

Reaction score
Brosnan's did. I say do it, because it looks sleeker throughout a full range of movement.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am 99% positive Sean Connery wore it in one of the earlier bond movies. I wish I had some pics for you. Nevertheless, it is incorrect... if you care about such matters.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think the premise of a secret agent wearing a tux would require a vented jacket for the ease of movement.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to follow the WWJBD approach, then notched lapels are okay too.

Purists are always saying that it is a mortal sin to wear a notched lapel tuxedo, and then I see photos of James Bond, George Clooney, and others wearing them and looking pretty good. If only they knew what a grave faux pas they were committing, no doubt they would be mortified and ashamed.

aKula

Reaction score
He wears a dinner jacket with vents in Dr. No. In the scene he's introduced to the audience. Further details are: single breasted shawl collar with no waist covering. Turnback cuffs on the jacket. Pleated front shirt with turn down collar.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
He wears a dinner jacket with vents in Dr. No. In the scene he's introduced to the audience. Further details are: single breasted shawl collar with no waist covering. Turnback cuffs on the jacket. Pleated front shirt with turn down collar.

I was mortified to miss a re-showing of Dr No at my local Indie cinema last weekend!

Fortunately they will periodically show subsequent ones

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Do not ask what James Bond would do, ask what blackbowtie would do.

- B

But what if I want to be James Bond? Doesn't every guy want to be James Bond?

Originally Posted by knittieguy
If you are going to follow the WWJBD approach, then notched lapels are okay too.

Purists are always saying that it is a mortal sin to wear a notched lapel tuxedo, and then I see photos of James Bond, George Clooney, and others wearing them and looking pretty good. If only they knew what a grave faux pas they were committing, no doubt they would be mortified and ashamed.

George Clooney, at least, has been spotted wearing a pre-tied bowtie at the Academy Awards. While he may look good, he might not necessarily be a good sartorial standard. Though I have to confess that I'm aghast at seeing Bond in a notched lapel dinner jacket. Could this be an exception that proves the rule?

Originally Posted by stant62
I would think the premise of a secret agent wearing a tux would require a vented jacket for the ease of movement.

Good point. Especially if you want easy reach to the secret gadgets in your pockets
wink.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It tends to border on the classic side so I would say he would have a center vent.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kind of wished I had ordered mine with vents, but they would have looked supremely wrong with the shawl lapels. Sitting down in a ventless jacket is a pain. Why not order side vents and have them closed up later if you don't like the look? You can go one way, but not the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads