• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would I be stupid for not buying a Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit for $500?

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
I recently saw a purple label suit in a ralph lauren outlet at $500, down from about $2500. I just bought a suit, so don't necessarily need another one at the moment, but would I be an idiot for passing on this deal. For reference the suit was navy (which I don't own yet) and fit me quite well.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
If (1) it is a classic navy suit that doesn't have any weird details, (2) you really like the fit, fabric, cut, etc. and (3) you plan on getting a navy suit, you should probably get it.

In general, I advise people to be wary of sales. I think people who tend to buy things on sale often spend more in the long run because they buy things they are less happy with, they buy things that don't fit real needs, and they never buy the essentials that form the backbone of a wardrobe. However, in this case, a navy suit is an essential that you don't have yet. Accordingly, if you really like the suit, you should go ahead and buy it. If you are just buying it because you feel like it is a good deal, then you should probably pass.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a couple of things. Not all Purple Label suits are created equal. A handful of years ago, RL consolidated it's Black Label and Purple Label lines under one; Purple Label. The truly exquisite and higher end RLPL suits retail for ~4-5k. The suit in question is probably made to the old Black Label standards. Not a bad standard at all! If you need a suit, it fits, the cut and fabric are to your liking or if you just have $500 burning a hole in your pocket, then yes, buy it.

Otherwise, I'd pass. It's a good deal but it's not some spectacular once in a century deal.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish P-Fogg had a toll free hotline # for when I'm in similar situations...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, you wouldn't be an idiot for buying it. Nor would you be an idiot for not buying it. It's a decent deal for $500, but in my opinion one to consider if and only if you need a suit.

Black Label suits of old were made in Italy by, I believe, Corneliani. An excellent garment, but under their own label they retail for ~$1800. Of course, RL probably specifies the cut, details as well as the fabric and hence the mark up.

So, in essence it's an $1800 suit for $500. Again, if you need a suit then you get it. Otherwise, getting it just because you think you're getting an excellent deal then you'll be left wanting.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this depends on whether the suit fits you well and has a silhouette that flatters your body type.

Discussions about handwork and quality should play second fiddle to those considerations. You're buying a piece of fashion, not equipment.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small correction to the above.

the black label suits were made by Caruso.

As for the suit mentioned above, $500 is ok, but fit is king. Your outlet suit may be the machine made (but fully canvassed) Anthony cut. The Anthony is a strange model as it has very thick shoulder padding (more so than TF, Canali, or pretty much any other top-tier maker out there), and a small chest. If it looks good on you, go for it. But make sure you’re comfortable with the look.

Anthony used to be popular on the forum, but its appeal ran out pretty fast.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, you wouldn't be an idiot for buying it. Nor would you be an idiot for not buying it. It's a decent deal for $500, but in my opinion one to consider if and only if you need a suit.

Black Label suits of old were made in Italy by, I believe, Corneliani. An excellent garment, but under their own label they retail for ~$1800. Of course, RL probably specifies the cut, details as well as the fabric and hence the mark up.

So, in essence it's an $1800 suit for $500. Again, if you need a suit then you get it. Otherwise, getting it just because you think you're getting an excellent deal then you'll be left wanting.

Much better outlet deals out there. Who would like a link to the TF outlet sale, with all items 70-85% off? (and they deduct VAT!).

deducting VAT brings it to 75-90% off.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I think this depends on whether the suit fits you well and has a silhouette that flatters your body type."

Main point! I wouldn't buy a Purple Label suit even for $10.00 because
PL suits over the years are not cut the way I prefer. Period.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard it, but a phrase that I wish I had paid better heed during my early menswear adventure is "An elephant for a quarter is a great deal, if you have a quarter and need an elephant."

I can't tell you how many times a 70-80% off deal I felt I couldn't miss turned into something I sold at a loss. If you don't have a use for it right now, don't buy it.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much better outlet deals out there. Who would like a link to the TF outlet sale, with all items 70-85% off? (and they deduct VAT!).

deducting VAT brings it to 75-90% off.
Please send to me

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think you're right that it's a black label suit then as the retail was about $3k and there were other PL that had details of $5k, but were selling for $1k.

The fit was decent, but I would likely have to spend more on alterations. I might pass on it because of this and because of what you guys said.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small correction to the above.

the black label suits were made by Caruso.

As for the suit mentioned above, $500 is ok, but fit is king. Your outlet suit may be the machine made (but fully canvassed) Anthony cut. The Anthony is a strange model as it has very thick shoulder padding (more so than TF, Canali, or pretty much any other top-tier maker out there), and a small chest. If it looks good on you, go for it. But make sure you’re comfortable with the look.

Anthony used to be popular on the forum, but its appeal ran out pretty fast.

you’re correct. Corneliani made made in Italy “Polo” blue label suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads