• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would greatly apprechiate feedback on the fit of my wedding suit

HPT704

Reaction score
The suit is a Vendetta Premium Dark Navy Sharkskin from Oliver Wicks. The fit feels pretty okay as far as I can tell, but I'm open to any alteration suggestions. My biggest concern is the sleeves, I'm wondering if the length is a bit too long since you can't really see any cuff. The sleeves also seem a bit big for my arms, not sure if that's something a tailor can alter. Thank you for any feedback you can give.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200118_155803.jpg
    20200118_155803.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 107
  • back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200118_155938.jpg
    20200118_155938.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200118_155900.jpg
    20200118_155900.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200118_155941.jpg
    20200118_155941.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 129

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like you're standing overly straight and with your shoulders thrown back. Is that how you normally stand? Totally fine, if so. But if it's not, then it's hard to evaluate the fit of the suit because you're not standing how you normally stand.

HPT704

Reaction score
It looks like you're standing overly straight and with your shoulders thrown back. Is that how you normally stand? Totally fine, if so. But if it's not, then it's hard to evaluate the fit of the suit because you're not standing how you normally stand.

I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but I generally try to make an effort not to slouch. I can retake them if you think it would be helpful.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but I generally try to make an effort not to slouch. I can retake them if you think it would be helpful.

Take a few shots of you standing however you normally stand when your mind isn't thinking about your posture.

HPT704

Reaction score
Take a few shots of you standing however you normally stand when your mind isn't thinking about your posture.

Ok, here's me standing normally

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200119_100909705_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200119_100909705_HDR.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200119_100914835_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200119_100914835_HDR.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 110
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 107

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I’m not sure you have the correct size

the shoulders look like they are wider than your natural shoulders

this may be affecting how the sleeves appear to be too large as well

also, your pants are too long- have they already been hemmed?

before trying to get this suit altered I would try going down a size

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Oliver Wicks is an MTM maker, not RTW. The shoulders are extended but I actually think it works on you. There is no rule that the jacket shoulders have to end at your body’s shoulders. A little extension can be quite flattering.

Yes the jacket sleeves and the trousers are too long but those are easy alterations.

The most problematic part of the suit IMO are the trousers. They don’t hang very well. Rise is too low for you. Are they sitting correctly on you or do they need to be pulled up a bit in the back?
All this being said, SF can be hypercritical. It’s not a bad fit and you’ll look good on your wedding day with the sleeve shortening and trouser hemming. Congratulations.

HPT704

Reaction score
I’m not sure you have the correct size

the shoulders look like they are wider than your natural shoulders

this may be affecting how the sleeves appear to be too large as well

also, your pants are too long- have they already been hemmed?

before trying to get this suit altered I would try going down a size

It's a MTM suit. I think the shoulders are roped, which I'm not really a fan of. The pants have not been hemmed yet.

HPT704

Reaction score
I think Oliver Wicks is an MTM maker, not RTW. The shoulders are extended but I actually think it works on you. There is no rule that the jacket shoulders have to end at your body’s shoulders. A little extension can be quite flattering.

Yes the jacket sleeves and the trousers are too long but those are easy alterations.

The suit is MTM. I think the shoulders are roped, which I didn't know about when I ordered it. Can sleeves still be shortened if the buttons are functional?

The most problematic part of the suit IMO are the trousers. They don’t hang very well. Rise is too low for you. Are they sitting correctly on you or do they need to be pulled up a bit in the back?
All this being said, SF can be hypercritical. It’s not a bad fit and you’ll look good on your wedding day with the sleeve shortening and trouser hemming. Congratulations.

I kinda have a weird waistline, and usually wear my pants low, which I know looks sloppy. Do you think I should just wear these trousers higher up, or do they need alterations? Thank you for your observations and kind words, it is much appreciated.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think this is good, sensible advice. Hemming the trousers and getting the sleeves taking up will do wonders for this suit. Just make sure that, when you go to the alterations tailor, you're wearing the shoes and shirt you plan on wearing with this garment. Regarding functional buttonholes, it will depend on how far you need to take up the sleeves. Best to consult a tailor in person so they can see.

As for the back of the trousers, it looks like you stand with your hips forward. I do the same, and in my experience, this can be solved by shortening the back rise and letting out the crotch to compensate. If you were to stand with your hips back and take photos, I think you'd see the back of your trousers drape more cleanly. But clothes should be cut for your natural posture. A good alterations tailor should be able to fix this for you. (Although, note, I'm not a tailor, so if the tailor recommends some other remedy, I would go with their advice).

As breakaway noted, the trousers a bit low rise. I think they would look better a bit higher on your body. As is, the cut makes your torso look unusually long. However, the rise isn't so low that the trousers' waistband shows when you button the jacket. As a practical matter, I would just keep the jacket buttoned.

If you don't already have a good alterations tailor, you can call some high-end tailored clothing retailers in your area and see who they recommend. Call a few places and see a name keeps coming up. That can be a good way to find someone reliable. Most places have an in-house tailor, but they'll still know who does good work in your area.

Congrats on getting married!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suit is MTM. I think the shoulders are roped, which I didn't know about when I ordered it. Can sleeves still be shortened if the buttons are functional?

If the buttons are functional then you may not have much room to take it up at the sleeve end. In that case the sleeve may have to be shortened at the shoulder. I'd ask Oliver Wicks for advice here -- will they be able to do it, or do you get a tailoring credit to do it elsewhere?

I don't think the shoulders are roped, at least not by much. They have some structure, but the top of the sleevehead does not stick up above the natural line of your shoulder as I would expect of a roped sleevehead.

I kinda have a weird waistline, and usually wear my pants low, which I know looks sloppy. Do you think I should just wear these trousers higher up, or do they need alterations? Thank you for your observations and kind words, it is much appreciated.

The rise may be too low to pull the trousers up by much. If you can have the trousers remade in time I'd consider it, otherwise work with what you have. As dieworkwear suggests, you could ask an alterations tailor for their opinion.

HPT704

Reaction score
I think this is good, sensible advice. Hemming the trousers and getting the sleeves taking up will do wonders for this suit. Just make sure that, when you go to the alterations tailor, you're wearing the shoes and shirt you plan on wearing with this garment. Regarding functional buttonholes, it will depend on how far you need to take up the sleeves. Best to consult a tailor in person so they can see.

As for the back of the trousers, it looks like you stand with your hips forward. I do the same, and in my experience, this can be solved by shortening the back rise and letting out the crotch to compensate. If you were to stand with your hips back and take photos, I think you'd see the back of your trousers drape more cleanly. But clothes should be cut for your natural posture. A good alterations tailor should be able to fix this for you. (Although, note, I'm not a tailor, so if the tailor recommends some other remedy, I would go with their advice).

As breakaway noted, the trousers a bit low rise. I think they would look better a bit higher on your body. As is, the cut makes your torso look unusually long. However, the rise isn't so low that the trousers' waistband shows when you button the jacket. As a practical matter, I would just keep the jacket buttoned.

If you don't already have a good alterations tailor, you can call some high-end tailored clothing retailers in your area and see who they recommend. Call a few places and see a name keeps coming up. That can be a good way to find someone reliable. Most places have an in-house tailor, but they'll still know who does good work in your area.

Congrats on getting married!

Thank you for your time and advice, it is much appreciated!

HPT704

Reaction score
If the buttons are functional then you may not have much room to take it up at the sleeve end. In that case the sleeve may have to be shortened at the shoulder. I'd ask Oliver Wicks for advice here -- will they be able to do it, or do you get a tailoring credit to do it elsewhere?

They do give you a $125 tailoring credit, they will also remake it but I doubt I'd be able to get it back in time (end of Feb).

I don't think the shoulders are roped, at least not by much. They have some structure, but the top of the sleevehead does not stick up above the natural line of your shoulder as I would expect of a roped sleevehead.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, I thought roped shoulders was when the sleeves are raised up over the shoulders, as opposed to straight or sloping shoulders.

The rise may be too low to pull the trousers up by much. If you can have the trousers remade in time I'd consider it, otherwise work with what you have. As dieworkwear suggests, you could ask an alterations tailor for their opinion.

Regarding the rise, how does a higher rise on trousers affect the crotch, does more material make it look like the crotch sag down lower?

Attachments

• shoulder.PNG
    shoulder.PNG
    215 KB · Views: 89

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads