• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would appreciate some advice for a student on an OPT in my ****** industry

Lokesh

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me answer a few questions I have regarding my career and Visa etc.

I just graduated with a masters in Animation and Visual Effects in December (there's mistake number 1 apparently, being in this field). I am an international student and am on an OPT right now (optional practical training, kind of like a temporary work permit for a recent graduate) which kicked in in end of February this year and expires towards the end of Feb next year. Once that ends, I'm hoping to stay on and continue working here.

So here is my situation - I am looking to start work as a rotoscope/paint artist or if I'm lucky, a junior compositor. I have a pretty solid demo reel and resume for a person fresh out of school. I've had the good luck to work on some features and high quality projects during my time in school so my reel/resume looks good. I've had a couple of freelance contracts ever since my OPT began, but nothing long term. I had an interview with a studio in NY almost two weeks ago and the interview went great. But they seem to be dragging their feet with getting back to me. But that aside, even if I do get the gig, it will only last until maybe end Aug/Sept. So this poses a problem for me in the long run because apparently to stay on and work here, I need an H1. To get an H1, from what I understand, I need a company to sponsor me. So if all my work seems to be short term contracts and that is the best I can do for now, how can I get this H1? Am I SOL?

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on what a person in my position could do to stay on?

I do have a lot of other questions too, but I'll keep them for another post. I would speak to an immigration lawyer or something but I honestly don't have the funds.

Any advice/help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

854ca

Reaction score
Are you from Mexico or Canada by any chance? If so, you should also look into the TN visa.

Lokesh

Reaction score

Are you from Mexico or Canada by any chance? If so, you should also look into the TN visa.

Thank you for the tip, I am not from either of those places though. I don't believe my country has any special Visa related arrangements with the US unfortunately.

SelfMade

Reaction score
Take your talent to ATL. If you're in animation, that is a great local to find work. My brother-in-law undergrad and AI and master's from SCAD, moved to ATL to work. He originally started with the NYC and LA dreams, but I think from what I have read, you might be better off down there. Plus cost of living is cheaper.

Lokesh

Reaction score

Take your talent to ATL.  If you're in animation, that is a great local to find work. My brother-in-law undergrad and AI and master's from SCAD, moved to ATL to work.  He originally started with the NYC and LA dreams, but I think from what I have read, you might be better off down there.  Plus cost of living is cheaper.

ATL as in Atlanta? I'm in Visual Effects, I'll have to look and see if there are studios there that do a lot of Visual Effects.

I just recently got myself a job in NYC actually, I'm moving there in the next week. But again the problem is that it only lasts 2-3 months. After which I have to start looking for work all over again.

rohde88

Reaction score
I'm an immigration lawyer, can help you for free.

Your best best is H1B, failing that you should hope that STEM reform happens before your OPT expires. There are not a lot of visa options for a well educated, free lance worker in the US right now.

If you can even find a small company and add value doing more than just a narrow role, they can sponsor you and apply in April.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Thanks texas_jack. Any input at all is appreciated!

I'm an immigration lawyer, can help you for free.

Your best best is H1B, failing that you should hope that STEM reform happens before your OPT expires. There are not a lot of visa options for a well educated, free lance worker in the US right now.

If you can even find a small company and add value doing more than just a narrow role, they can sponsor you and apply in April.
Thanks texas_jack.

Thanks for the tips! Even if the STEM reform does pass, isn't that only related to people with science degrees? My degree is an MFA.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads