• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would a narrow tie look better on this tux? (pictures inside)

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fueledbynewjersey
You need a minimum purchase of 50 pounds to go to checkout :-/ I think im gonna bite the bullet and buy the bb model bow tie. I want the challenge of learning how to tie my own bow tie anyways. Should i keep the silver vest or just scrap it, i didn't really like the look of a cummberbund.
With traditional black tie you always cover your waist so you wear a waist coat, a cummerbund or a double breasted jacket (which you do not undo so your waist is never visible). If you wear a waistcoat it should really be cut very low, not one of the high cut one like the one in the picture you posted, this is traditional, but I think it also looks better, you show more of your white shirt which I think makes the whole thing look more "balanced". However those old school waist coats can be hard to find, sometimes you can find them in vintage or thrift shops, and then they usually don't match, or you have to pay a lot for them. A cummerbund would be best, if you really don't like them and want to do something a bit more interesting you could tie a length of black silk around your waist or something, but a cummerbund really would be best. if you have time I think you should be able to find a bow tie for cheaper than that, but if you do spend the money at least it is something that will last.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a minimum purchase of 50 pounds to go to checkout :-/ I think im gonna bite the bullet and buy the bb model bow tie. I want the challenge of learning how to tie my own bow tie anyways. Should i keep the silver vest or just scrap it, i didn't really like the look of a cummberbund.
The T&A one is self-tie as well. I didn't mean for you to order if from their site (it doesn't ship to the US anyway) - there's a T&A store in NYC that you could get the bow tie from.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Thats actually very nice. I don't see a bat wing option on there though. what do you think would be the closest option? and is it just me or does the fabric kinda look like velvet or something
Choose straight edge. The reflected light looks like more texture is there, but it seems pretty standard satin to me. You may have to go with the standard size since long or short may take too long to special order.

fueledbynewjersey

Reaction score
Alright Ill go ahead and do that. Now I have 3 weeks to learn how to tie a bow tie haha thanks for all the input everyone! it really helped me out! thanks again! oh and one more thing! now that i have the bow tie do think it would look better and keep the silverish vest or should i just get a lower cut black waist coast?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I have 3 weeks to learn how to tie a bow tie haha thanks for all the input everyone! ?

Its soooo easy. Just remember, its just like tying your shoe, no difference.

dopamine

Reaction score
Alright Ill go ahead and do that. Now I have 3 weeks to learn how to tie a bow tie haha thanks for all the input everyone! it really helped me out! thanks again! oh and one more thing! now that i have the bow tie do think it would look better and keep the silverish vest or should i just get a lower cut black waist coast?

I would get a lower cut black waist coat, or perhaps no waist coat at all (I know many members here will see that as sacrilege, but I don't see it as truly necessary if your tuxedo as a whole fits very well.)
GQ did an article on tuxedos a while back, and I'm a big fan of the looks they picked out for Brandon Flowers. Then again, I'm less traditional than most of the guys on this forum:

GQfashion1v.jpg

3048085836_8393409eed.jpg

The most important thing is to wear what you feel comfortable with and enjoy and to stay within your budget. Don't try to go for the slim look if your build isn't correct or the tuxedo has a boxy cut, and don't try to wear a modern tie with a traditionally cut tuxedo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics