• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would a Khaki Suit be too Casual in an Office Setting in the Summer?

GQBaller

Reaction score
I really like the look of these khaki suits. Would they be too flashy in a Capitol Hill office during the summer?

00001f.jpg

00017f.jpg

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
I wear my khaki suit once per week in the summer to the office (law firm). I think it looks great and have no problem wearing it to meetings with clients. I don't know what is considered appropriate on Capital Hill. Congress used to have a seersucker day in June, I cannot imagine a khaki suit would be considered too flashy.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaturalShoulder
I wear my khaki suit once per week in the summer to the office (law firm). I think it looks great and have no problem wearing it to meetings with clients. I don't know what is considered appropriate on Capital Hill. Congress used to have a seersucker day in June, I cannot imagine a khaki suit would be considered too flashy.
Seersucker day is alive and well and I see nothing wrong with wearing the suit above, either.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A khaki suit would look and also feel great in the DC heat and humidity. I think they're appropriate for typical business wear in the summer, especially as a Friday suit.

K Street

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb for dressing on the Hill is keep it conservative and follow your boss's lead. That said, I don't think a khaki suit would be out of line at all so long as it's neat. You will see at least a couple senators wearing khaki or british tan suits during the summer months.

They do still have an official "Seersucker Thursday" in June. Before Trent Lott retired it seemed like every summer Thursday was a 'sucker day, albeit unofficially. Staff would occasionally participate as well, particularly those working in southern offices. They always seemed to enjoy a little more latitude with things like bright colors, bowties, and seersucker.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I don't care about the conservative folks. Tan suits are absolutely ok for the environment and whoever doesn't like it is just mad they can't pull off the look with as much ease

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by K Street
They do still have an official "Seersucker Thursday" in June. Before Trent Lott retired it seemed like every summer Thursday was a 'sucker day, albeit unofficially. Staff would occasionally participate as well, particularly those working in southern offices. They always seemed to enjoy a little more latitude with things like bright colors, bowties, and seersucker.
http://www.senate.gov/ ... /SeersuckerThursday.htm
seersucker_2006.jpg
Aside from all that, a khaki suit, if executed conservatively and "dressily" (?, lol) is perfectly fine in the summer time.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who makes the suits you posted pictures of?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Who makes the suits you posted pictures of?

+1

I'd like to know who makes the first one.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm actually trying to decided on the right khaki for summer here in HKG.. Navy will not be a problem, But I like the look of a khaki suit with light blue or bengal blue striped shirts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
No, I'm actually trying to decided on the right khaki for summer here in HKG.. Navy will not be a problem, But I like the look of a khaki suit with light blue or bengal blue striped shirts.
I like this look, too, especially with a madras tie. I haven't owned a khaki suit in quite a few years but may give it another try this year. The problem I have is finding the right shade of khaki to avoid looking too washed out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics