1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Would a buttondown shirt with turnback cuffs work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

Thanks modernist and dsmolken!

...It's just that I end up looking more formal than usual when I put on anything other than a t-shirt, and that has just been how my personality melds to my clothing. I was thinking about buttondown shirts, but then I will be using long (3 inches) points that to my eye make the shirt look a bit formal...

One of the reasons I like to wear BD collars with french cuffs. It's a nice mix of casual and dress. Especially when the collar is longer and with a fuller roll.

But I believe that even 3 inches may be too short. My custom BDs have 3 1/2" to 4" long points. Remember, that unlike non-button down collars, a BD should roll. When worn, the size of the collar will appear shorter than it's actual length.

I was also thinking about three button cuffs, and thought the turnback cuffs might make a nice twist to such a shirt along with the three button idea. I was thinking it would work with a finer fabric in a weave like an oxford. Maybe I'll try it; fun to think about twists to clothing every now and then.
    More power to you, for daring to try something new. And the cuffs of the shirt you posted last don't look that bad...

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I've got a shirt that's buttondown with french cuffs, but I think buttondown and cocktail cuffs might be taking it a bit far even for me.

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

a BD with turn back cuffs is quite faddish. every shirt shown on this thread, will look tired after another season. the japanese shirt looks out of style IMO.
    unless it is a $45 shirt from jantzen, i would not talk a customer into such a shirt.
    Carl

4. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Senior member

I think it would be mixing sartorial metaphors (more casual collar, more formal cuffs) and probably not look right.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'd never get those weird cuffs.

When I first read the thread i actually thought he meant buttondown collar with french cuffs.

6. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I'd never get those weird cuffs.
    That's because they wouldn't suit you. [​IMG] Seriously, it's nice to see my some of my old thread pictures resurrected again; I get a kick out of that as much as I get a kick out of wearing these fun shirts. For the record, I have conservative shirts as well. josepidal, try out a couple of shirts like this at social events with better jeans and footgear and you cannot go wrong. I would not wear them for business; unless I own the firm. The topic of cocktail cuffs always seems to bring out the prim brigade. The tweedy high school vice principal look or tradly looks sported by the keystone posters here wouldn't suit me either; no matter how well fitted. No less authorities than my St. Martins / Ryerson fashion trained daughter and some of the posters in the Patek and Rolex watch fora think this look rocks. Insecure response now OFF. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Mustapha and Carl in particular,

Thanks for the posts. I have specific reasons for thinking about turnback cuffs. Namely, I think I have a tad of reserve to my personality that always adds a hint of formality to whatever I put on other than a t-shirt or swimming trunks. Thus, I was thinking of them for shirts with less formal collars or patterns. For the same reason, funny enough, I don't think the visible contrast fabric would work for me. Like Modernist says, I'd need to make what is really a casual shirt look a bit dressier.

I see the point that the cuffs paired with a casual collar may look faddish, but I think I'm the kind of guy for whom French cuffs and jeans work. May just give it a try and give some feedback, whether it works or not. At the end of the day, part of enjoying clothing is trying something new occasionally.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Like Modernist says, I'd need to make what is really a casual shirt look a bit dressier.

I totally get this. I had the same issue when getting my OCBDs made up. But I'm just not sure turnbacks do the trick; to me, they clash with the collar concept (the collar buttons down, but the cuffs appear not to button at all).

To make my OCBDs less casual, I switched to a French placket (or 'no placket', if you prefer) and mitered cuffs. I'm very happy with the results.

9. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Amazing, mafoofan, as that is what I had originally planned to have made before turnback cuffs entered my mind! I think what I'll do is have a normal dress shirt in a plain solid fabric made with turnback cuffs just so I see how these look on me, and take it from there. At worst, I'll have one slightly different shirt that I'll be happy to bring out of my wardrobe when I a touch of whimsy strikes.

10. mafoofan

Amazing, mafoofan, as that is what I had originally planned to have made before turnback cuffs entered my mind! I think what I'll do is have a normal dress shirt in a plain solid fabric made with turnback cuffs just so I see how these look on me, and take it from there. At worst, I'll have one slightly different shirt that I'll be happy to bring out of my wardrobe when I a touch of whimsy strikes.

Did you see this?

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=72046

11. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Exactly my taste, except I was thinking of three-button mitred cuffs and my neck isn't long enough for a two button collar. Something like this would be great with a royal oxford; enough surface interest to look casual, but with that hint of dressiness.

12. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

By the way, what about turnback cuffs and banded/Mandarin/"priest" collar?

13. mafoofan

Now you're just trying to come up with a weird-ass shirt.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

"Euro-Disco" comes to mind.

15. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What cuffs work with a Mandarin collar shirt? Barrel only due to the minimalist look? I was thinking because some people wear these with suits to avoid wearing a tie, so supposedly these can be dressed up.

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

What cuffs work with a Mandarin collar shirt?

Hand.

17. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

If you want to be different, what's wrong w/ a nice barong?

18. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Because it's supposed to be worn on occasions when one would wear a morning coat or a suit over here, depending on the fabric? Also, it's translucent and extremely thin, and doesn't work in November in the East Coast. Batik shirts, maybe.

19. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

That's true, they are thin. I'm not sure the design would work w/ a thinker fabric, but while we're breaking rules and experimenting...

20. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Yes, but if you use a different fabric, then what you have is really just another embroidered shirt.

By the way, not that I'm planning to do this, but what exactly is the rationale for French or turnback cuffs not working with a Mandarin collar? I ask because searches for Mandarin collars turn up a lot of sites on tux shirts, and French cuffs work with wing collars.