• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would a bright gold/yellow tie and a med blue Zegna suit like failed power tie look?

Farmgate

Reaction score
I have a new blueish-gray, slim Zegna suit, cut slim with tapered trousers. It's conservative and stylish at the same time, IMHO.

I have a couple of slim Ted Baker ties that are bright, and I am wondering if they're going to look appropriate for office, or too much of an attempt at a power tie look from the eighties. My own taste is that I like classy, updated, non-boring looks that are confident and fun, and sophisticated.

The ties are: gold/yellow with slight circle pattern, and a light blue tie with muted brown cross stripes.

When I wear the gold/yellow tie, it looks classy, and certainly not as bold and garish as the blatant pink and yellowpower ties of Wallstreet from the eighties, but it still draws all the attention to the tie, which may or may not be a good thing. A lot of people, I feel, are starring at the tie.

The last thing I want is to give the appearance of a guy trying too hard to do the power tie look of the eighties.

Can a bright tie under a business suit drown out the suit and ruin the effect of the clean lines and great fabrics, or am I just worrying about nothing? My other concern is that a bright yellowish/gold tie to some may appear to be trying too hard, and screaming, "I am trying to grab your attention with something bright. See, I'm so suave and stylish! See, look at this yellow tie! Look at it!"

I do want to mention (again) that I intend on wearing the suit/yellow tie to the office, and the group I'm with is laid back, and stylish.

Should I go back to a muted, dark slender tie, with subtle stripes and patterns, and leave the bright colors to others, or should I stick with the bright yellow-gold Ted Baker tie?

I have attached a photo from Thick as Thieves to illustrate the approximate color of the suit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the tie?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever the hell you like and show no fear or concern about it.
Unless you live in a communist or fascist society, no one will care what you wear.
Your freedom is yours to protect. Now go out there and enjoy your life and clothes.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Try wearing that tie with a pink shirt, or perhaps with a blue striped shirt on white ground.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely a fan of Ted Baker ties (Specifically their Archive stuff) and feel that their ties offer an avenue to add some color or creative patterns to a solid suit.

This is of course going off your statement about your office being relaxed and creative, I would say go for it.

Would help to see a pic or two of the ensemble.

Farmgate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Definitely a fan of Ted Baker ties (Specifically their Archive stuff) and feel that their ties offer an avenue to add some color or creative patterns to a solid suit.

This is of course going off your statement about your office being relaxed and creative, I would say go for it.

Would help to see a pic or two of the ensemble.

will do. By the way, cool avatar. Where did you get the pic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads