1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Worth Keeping?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nohbdy, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nohbdy

nohbdy New Member

I've been a lurker for a while. However, I'm getting ready to relocate to Austria (from the States) and figure it's time to get a bit more serious about quality clothing. I picked up the below Brooks Brothers 1818 Milano suit on clearance along with the recent F&F 25% discount. Feeling a little iffy on the fit of the jacket. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the fit - whether it is worth a trip to the tailor or if I should just send it back to Brooks Brothers?

[​IMG]

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Return - jacket too big, sleeves look too short

you need to size down at least one size; however, that may not work considering the sleeve length

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. nohbdy

nohbdy New Member

There seems to be a good amount of fabric in the sleeve, so I'm hoping that's fixable. If anything, it seemed a tad snug in the chest (the jacket seems to pull away a bit in the lapel area), but a bit large at the torso/waist.

4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Should be fixable.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

doesn't look very flattering on you

6. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Fixable is one thing, 'worth' fixing is another. Would he not be better off going a size smaller and then get it altered?

7. nohbdy

nohbdy New Member

It was clearance and the only 38 available (paid around $350). I usually wear a 38, but nothing smaller was available. So, I either just scrap it and return it or have some adjustments made.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum nohbdy.
    Let that suit go and don't look back.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Hard three button suits look bad

10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Hard to tell with the angle, but isn't the whole jacket a bit short on him? the center button seems to high on his body, and it looks to me like a back shot might reveal more of the OP than desired. He definitely should return it, but if I'm right he should probably try a longer length.

11. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

return it please. you can do much better, i promise.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

this one sure does anyway

13. myk7000

myk7000 Senior member

Hey man,

I agree with a lot of folks on here. This suit has too short of arms (you probably need a L length) and is actually quite big on you. Also, 2 buttons are always preferred over 3 buttons, so see if you can go that direction instead. I would return it if I were you, and try some other jackets, as I'm sure you'll find one that fits you like a glove.

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

This is a problem with some 3 button setup. The middle button stance a bit higher and that creates a pull for some body shape. The jacket can be altered easily. I pay around $130 to alter pretty much everything(apart from the shoulder of-course). Shoulder fit is perfect.

15. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

No they don't, the sleeve length is ok it's the shirt sleeves which are too long. If anything I'd shorted the jacket by 1" or 1.5" maybe have it waisted a little at the side seems to get a better fit.

16. nohbdy

nohbdy New Member

Thanks all, I'll probably just return this one. My current two suits are 38L and required significant altering of the jacket (taking in the waist quite a bit) to keep them from looking like bags. The problem is I can never find long jackets sized smaller than 38. It doesn't help that the largest men's stores close to me are the big box stores and the likes of Jos A Bank.

17. azwildcat

azwildcat Active Member

Recycling this thread...

I'm in the process of culling my wardrobe as I learn more here.

The black, white and tan jacket below is Hickey Freeman. The black and white is Arnold Brant. Both fit great....and I wore them once in a while when I had black trousers...which I'm not inclined to replace.

The HF goes with jeans, but that's not a combo I wear much. Can it go with tan trousers given the black?

Can the Brant go with anything?

Keep/purge?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. azwildcat

azwildcat Active Member

Hi SF.

I'm culling a wardrobe and would very much appreciate keep/toss advice....on the jackets above, as well as on the ties below....

I'm not expecting tie-by-tie comments...I would simply appreciate general comments about style and color as well as special call outs for the most ugly. The more I've read here, the more I feel I have no bearings on the tie front (but for maybe the staples, which I haven't pictured here). E.g., are any of the geometrics okay? What's the perspective on stripes?

While I'm looking for color/pattern help, FWIW these are mostly "high end" Cremieux (meaning their high end - @ deep discount) with some Canali, Zegna and Talbot and a few strays.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

First picture, burn them all. Second picture, burn them all except for the second from left. Third pic, keep them if you like them. Fourth pic, meh.

20. azwildcat

azwildcat Active Member

Naturally, the one tie you called out to keep is the one I put in the giveaway pile just this a.m.....I reached for it (so maybe I'm learning something) but it's significantly wider than what I've come to like.

Appreciate the feedback. Nothing too unexpected...so, again, maybe I'm learning something. Basically, the farther from bright red geometric, the better. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014