• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worth Keeping Two Pairs of Black Cap Toe Oxfords?

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Good Evening All,

Hoping to get some advice. Basically, should I keep the Santoni Quentin shoes I bought a few days ago at Nordstrom Rack? Or is this addition to an "average sized" shoe collection redundant since already own a pair of Bruno Magli Maioco?

I got a good deal on the Santonis, but I'm in the market for a burgundy colored and'or shell cordovan style shoe, so would return the shoes if it seems like they aren't needed at this point I've owned a few AEs but beyond these have never spent > $200 on shoes, so am just starting to spend more on good shoes.

From side-by-side comparison I do prefer the Santoni shoe, but haven't worn it yet so don't know enough. Any comparative opinions worth sharing? The Santoni is not FAM (nearly certain). Here are Nordstrom links to both shoes:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/santoni-quentin-cap-toe-oxford-men/3170835
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bruno-magli-maioco-oxford/2934413

Also before I forget, can someone point me to a helpful site on how best to lace up your shoes? I lace all shoes like they are Nikes but I assume there are preferred styles to follow.

Finally, I had added a handful of pictures here but it gave me an errror when hitting submit. I'm a noob and it's my first post. What do I need to do to be able to attach pictures? Thanks for the advice!

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your daily dress code and personal preference. I wear suits to work most days, and when I do I wear black captoe oxfords more often than any other shoe style/color, so I have two pair - and am casually in the market for a third if I see a pair that strikes my eye. Some people here strongly prefer brown shoes to black, and so they don't need more than one for those formal occasions that call for a black shoe. This is one of those "only you can answer this" questions.

Last edited:

mandom

Reaction score
I keep three black captoes. I rotate them, along with my brown oxfords. One is a total bad weather beater, the other is in between (e.g. the office on a good day), the third is for formal occasions (always in mint condition).

IMHO, two captoes are in the zone, I'd keep them both if I were you.

As for lacing, I don't know. Perhaps I'm a Nike kinda guy (rubber shoe lacing after all are very balanced albeit not the most aesthetically pleasing, ha ha).:satisfied:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own three pairs of black cap toes. One black cap toe oxford in calf; one black cap toe balmoral in calf; one black punch cap balmoral boots in cordovan.

Macallan

Reaction score
If you do not need to wear them to work - you should have one pair, two pairs would depends on your style

If you do need to wear them to work - at least two pairs, if not more

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate black captoes. I have one pair, and rarely wear them.

that said, the santonis are way better than the BMs.

keep both of them, but wear them only when necessary...they are uninteresting

gsugsu

Reaction score

If you do not need to wear them to work - you should have one pair, two pairs would depends on your style

If you do need to wear them to work - at least two pairs, if not more

+1 it all depends on how often you wear them. If black shoes are a regular part of your business dress then you should have at least two pairs to rotate. If you will only wear them on rare occasions, keep one. I'd take the Santoni over the Magli but once again, it is up to you as to which pair you prefer.

sestyle

Reaction score
i hate black captoes. I have one pair, and rarely wear them.
that said, the santonis are way better than the BMs.
keep both of them, but wear them only when necessary...they are uninteresting

I am also not a huge fan of black cap toes, mainly because I don't need to wear black very often. I don't agree that they are always uninteresting. Perhaps understated. In nearly all other color pants I prefer browns and reds. If you don't have many shoes, you'll probably benefit from color diversity more than several black shoes, but it depends on you daily pant routine.

With that being said, I keep two pairs; one sleek balmoral and another medallion blutcher. I would keep the Santoni for now and hold out for a future primo black pair if you feel one isn't cutting it. I'm just not a fan of most Magli's build/quality wise.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, classics will will go forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads