• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

worth it to take in waist, slim down levi's 539's?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In my pre-SF days (read: a few months ago), I weighed ~45 pounds more than I do now and wore Levi's 507's (slim boot indigo) and 539's ("vintage straight," kinda like a 501 fit in "eco" khaki-colored denim). I've since picked up a pair of New Cures, but would like to have a pair of pants that are a bit more relaxed than the NC's and can can bridge the gap between blue jeans and actual khaki chinos.

So, I was wondering if it would be economically viable to take the 539's to a tailor, have the waist taken in 2 inches and the legs slimmed to about the proportions of the legs on the New Standard, maybe even with a tiny bit more taper.

Would that even be possible to do? If so, how much might it cost at the tailor at the dry cleaners? Better yet, could a kind grandmother who is good with a sewing machine make these sort of alterations? FWIW, the actual pants themselves were just $40...

Thanks much,
wmmk

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok then. Any suggestions for cheap, slim, streetwear-friendly, non-denim pants? Thanks, wmmk

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Ok then. Any suggestions for cheap, slim, streetwear-friendly, non-denim pants?
Thanks, wmmk

don't gap and j. crew have slim pants?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if "cheap" is a requirement then you may as well buy from gap or old navy, uniqlo if you can, as long as you like the fit. fit is the most important thing after all, and the damn things won't crumble to dust.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 135 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 252 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.9%
  • 31 - 40