• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Sports Trade of all time?

injung

Reaction score
Didn't the Pats get Randy Moss for like a 3rd round draft pick

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
-Abreu to the Yanks for nobody.

that was a salary dump - i'm not sure i would want to pay 16 million for an .830 ops hitter. especially when they now have Victorino at about .800 (and only $480,000), and werth at .840 (and only 1.7 million). if you have abreu back, one of those guys has to sit more.

the phillies need pitching more than hitting.

as for worst phillies trades - i'll throw out von hayes and the infamous 5 for 1 trade. Julio Franco was one of the 5 the phillies gave up, and he easily outperformed von hayes. but giving up sandberg was worse.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields.

From 1997-2002, Martinez had the best 5-year stretch for a pitcher in the history of baseball.

By contrast, I used to sit in the stands and wonder if DeShields was being paid to throw the game.

Yeah, this turned out to be a disaster, but was it really bad at the time? I recall that the Dodgers needed a second baseman after Jody Reed (Jody Reed!) turned down their offer to resign. Deshields was an All-Star and could fill the need for speed at the top of the order. Pedro had been injured in the minors, & Tommy thought his small frame wouldn't withstand his hard throwing motion, or something like that. Tommy may have been right....just 10-12 years too soon. (Can't believe I just wrote something that could be construed as defending that trade.)

Mike

Reaction score
Being a native Detroiter, and a big Tigers fan, the one bad trade {or more of a "what if?" trade} was John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander in 1987. Smoltz was 20 and in the minor system, Alexander was a 36 year old veteran. Alexander went 9-0 which got us to the ALCS, but he went 0-2 with a 10 ERA and we got knocked out. Smoltz is still around today, after a really incredible 20+ year career, although he had season ending sholder surgery this year, but Alexander retired in 1989.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1998 Leafs/Habs: Russ Courtnall for John Kordic.

Thread lock please ...

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Hi, my team just threw 20 million dollars at a washed up 37 year old swede, and even HE can't make up his mind about whether he wants to take it.

To other guy: if we're talking about "real" sports, shall we leave baseball out of the thread? Can't recall the last time I heard of anyone losing ten pounds playing center field...

I agree with the other poster that Sundin is not washed up and would be a crucial piece to the puzzle.

However, I just cannot listen to Sports Radio anymore coz of all this Sundin bullshit they keep talking about every single fricking day.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Ivan Rodriguez for Kyle Farnsworth!

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
not the worst of all time, but we just lost Craig Hansen, Brandon Moss, and Manny Ramirez and only got Jason Bay.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeremy Shockey.
rimshot.gif

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
not the worst of all time, but we just lost Craig Hansen, Brandon Moss, and Manny Ramirez and only got Jason Bay.

Don't worry too much about it. Bay is (slightly) better than Manny when you factor in defense and Hansen is probably not going to be very good. Moss, I'm not sure.

The Dodgers now have 5 OF, no DH, and Loney at 1B...

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Jeremy Shockey.
rimshot.gif

The trade itself wasn't that bad, but considering they could have done the exact same thing BEFORE the draft and gotten NO's higher picks (since they're almost certainly going to be better this year) this year, the Giants are stupid.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Don't worry too much about it. Bay is (slightly) better than Manny when you factor in defense and Hansen is probably not going to be very good. Moss, I'm not sure.

The Dodgers now have 5 OF, no DH, and Loney at 1B...

What's wrong w/ Loney? He's solid. Jason Bay is a pretty good player, but I never thought he would cost Manny, 2 well- regarded prospects & $7M (balance of manny's salary).

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
What's wrong w/ Loney? He's solid. Jason Bay is a pretty good player, but I never thought he would cost Manny, 2 well- regarded prospects & $7M (balance of manny's salary).

Loney's good. I meant that there's nowhere to put their glut of outfielders now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads