• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst purchase..or not (Jil Sander leather blazer)

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread, I haven't done it in a while. I made a search and found a similar thread about leather blazers and noticed that they are not much in favour here. Today I made an impulse buy of a Jil Sander leather blazer. It's brand new, from a few seasons ago, absurd retail price of 4000 USD and I paid only a small fraction of that. I was never interested in leather blazers (although I have a few leather jackets) and I do not know if I can pull it off. The price was the main driver. Color is grey/taupe, light and very soft leather, fits slim and the sleeves are too long as for most of the Jil Sander jackets I've seen. I have a Jil Sander cotton suit and a cashmere sport coat with the same minimalist cut, but I prefer lately a less square and more an Italian cut. As you can see in the pics, it's a bit tight in the chest for me. As I cannot return it, I wonder if I should keep it or sell. What's your opinion on this? (CLICK to zoom)

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Tight in the chest and long in the sleeve. Is it possible to have alterations done on this?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time I saw that Jil blazer on the runway I thought "Holy ****, this is the first leather blazer I've ever seen that looks good".

That said, it does not look good on you. I'd sell it.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should haven take better pics. But I feel it a bit tight and I'm not very comfortable in it. The sleeves should be easily altered, they not not have buttons. I'll need to ask my wife's opinion, although I'm sure she won't like it.

I paid only 250 USD for it and would not try to make a profit, I was just hoping I'll be confident enough to wear it. I think I fell out of love with Jil Sander jackets. Can anybody remember from which season is this?

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not yet decided to sell it. Actually I'm not good at it, I have so many items that do not fit and I prefer to donate them to friends than bother to sell.
I am not a leather fetishist, but this is the softest leather I've seen and so simple and well crafted.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I really like leather blazers and think they can work. You should sell this.
Originally Posted by onion
First time I saw that Jil blazer on the runway I thought "Holy ****, this is the first leather blazer I've ever seen that looks good". That said, it does not look good on you. I'd sell it.
I agree. Pre-Raf Jil can be a great look for some, but on others it doesn't look so good. It's actually not a very forgiving silhouette... I dunno... "columnar" for lack of a better word. Claus, as for season, can you post the tag (meaning the paper sales tag). I can tell you what season it is from the model number. There's no way to tell from the fabric tag on the inside; it's on the paper tags.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it looks good, although it might be your stance. To be honest, it doesn't look too bad from the back, but from the front it is awkward. Maybe unbuttoned it could work? I am not sure, if it was me I would sell, but if you really want to keep it you might be able to work with it a little.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only good if you're a homicide detective.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the buttoning point is too high, and it makes you look like you have child bearan hips. i would sell it

Originally Posted by CBrown85
Only good if you're a homicide detective.

should be like 3 sizes bigger for that though, haha

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you work for the mob, then you should keep it.

Otherwise sell it to some other schmuck.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
Sorry to start a new thread, I haven't done it in a while. I made a search and found a similar thread about leather blazers and noticed that they are not much in favour here.

Today I made an impulse buy of a Jil Sander leather blazer. It's brand new, from a few seasons ago, absurd retail price of 4000 USD and I paid only a small fraction of that.
I was never interested in leather blazers (although I have a few leather jackets) and I do not know if I can pull it off. The price was the main driver. Color is grey/taupe, light and very soft leather, fits slim and the sleeves are too long as for most of the Jil Sander jackets I've seen.

I have a Jil Sander cotton suit and a cashmere sport coat with the same minimalist cut, but I prefer lately a less square and more an Italian cut.

As you can see in the pics, it's a bit tight in the chest for me. As I cannot return it, I wonder if I should keep it or sell. What's your opinion on this?

There is a reason why it never sold and never sold for $4000 and whatever price you paid for it you overpaid. Not to mention it doesn't look good on you, you should return it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
He may as well keep it I don't think anyone would buy that.

Cheese1

Reaction score
You look pear shaped in the "front" picture, and the color doesn't really help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads