1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Worst present ever?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Saltricks, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Just this past x-mas my lady friend gave me a: [​IMG] and a [​IMG] (Shower radio) Thats IT. Nothing else. And she was totally happy and srs.

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Couple of years ago I was into mountain biking. For Christmas my dad got me a set of skateboard knee and elbow pads. Unfortunately they were sized for 6-8 year olds. He also got me a bottle of YSL Kouros that smells like cat urine.

3. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

just remembered another 2 from my mom:

Appx. 1993. Miami Heat Jacket. Problem: Heat BLEW but she got confused by the logo and thought it was the Bulls (who EVERY kid wanted at the time). Either way, I was a Pacers fan so it was a waste.

[​IMG]

2. Teams did this thing years ago where they used different colors for logos. My mom saw a baseball jersey with a Blue NY logo and orange background, similar to this:

[​IMG]

Problem is, Im a mets fan. [​IMG]

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Haha moms. They're so cute.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

you know what? i wasnt really bitter or sad for myself. i could care less (even though i was like 7 or 8). i was more sad and angered for my parents. they didnt like my mom. and they showed their political power through trying to hurt her through her child. these people will definitely rot somewhere im sure. but anyways nice topic.

[​IMG]

can't you give them as a gift, some traditional korean talisman or something that would put a curse to them?

On one occasion, my parents got a present from our next-door neighbors. They unwrapped it to discover it was a... well, we didn't know what the hell it was supposed to be, and to this day, we're still unsure. It was this horrendously tacky injection-molded plastic thing, vaguely Eastern in design, about 12"x10"x10", and painted in a faux-aged copper patina. On the top was a tent-shaped lid that covered a rectangular indentation about the size of a pack of cigarettes. My guess is that it was supposed to be some sort of cat sarcophagus or an urn you'd put a cat's ashes in (our neighbors were definite cat people, as we are to a lesser extent.)

Thank God my parents didn't unwrap it with the neighbors present. "Oh wow! It's... this! We were just talking about how much we need one of... these... things."

pics?

Couple of years ago I was into mountain biking. For Christmas my dad got me a set of skateboard knee and elbow pads. Unfortunately they were sized for 6-8 year olds. He also got me a bottle of YSL Kouros that smells like cat urine.

kouros?? probably was your dad's when he was still dating your mom in the 80s.

back when I was around 10, I got some japanese anime robot from my godparents. at first I didn't notice or tried to ignore why the plastic parts that were supposed to be the robot's shiny metal parts were kinda bluish, and the inner box was kinda torn. later did I notice that there was no instruction manual/sheet, and some "weapons" were not included. maybe a few months later, I got to visit my godparents' place and inside their son's room, inside a glass case- was the same goddamn toy, all intact, all shiny and clean. damn! [​IMG]

6. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

When I was 13 I received a Christmas gift from my grandparents that included a religious pamphlet talking about saving yourself for marriage. It even had a contract at the end that you were supposed to sign. Weird.

These same grandparents returned from a trip in Egypt with many spectacular gifts for all of my family members. I, however, received a 6" holographic ruler. I was 15 when this happened, fwiw.

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Anything larger than the palm of my hand that I don't ask for.

8. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Redscarf, shoulda been nicer to your grandparents!

9. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

On my last birthday a couple of months ago my mother gave me a picnic hamper. This in itself is not so bad, but it was a bright pink nylon and metal one with spots on that looks as if you should be carrying a baby in it.

I live a fair distance away from my parents so my brothers dropped it off when they were in town. They thought it was hilarious.

Thing is. I already had a picnic hamper (a nice wicker one).

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

[​IMG]

can't you give them as a gift, some traditional korean talisman or something that would put a curse to them?

perhaps, but i dont care enough about these people to where i would put any energy, effort or time to try to 'get back' at them. they already see me living a happy life with my wife, and see that i still have a strong relationship with my parents. that in itself is hurt to them. i see their broken marriages and fights and financial difficulties in the past, already what goes around comes around happened to them. the more they see me smile the more it hurts for them im sure. they are so nice to my mom past years. they always tell her how lucky it is for her to still have two sons who love her so much and seem to have a happy successful lives. they dont got it for their children who are all grown up now.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Back when we were poor, Mrs. Piob greatly admired some heirloom combs. I thought they would look incredible in her long hair but did not have the cash to buy them. So what I did was sell my favorite possession, my pocket watch that had been handed down in my family for generations. I was very pleased with the thought of seeing her face on Xmas morning when she opened the box and saw the wonderful combs for her beautiful hair.

Xmas morning came and she gave me a gift. It was a wonderful chain for my pocket watch...the watch I had just sold! Then I noticed she had cut her hair. She had sold her hair to buy my watch chain!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Someone got me a "wine bottle cooler" once. How's it work, you ask? You fill it with ice water and stick bottle in.

And it apparently wasn't cheap, either.

13. jefe

jefe Senior member

Back when we were poor, Mrs. Piob greatly admired some heirloom combs. I thought they would look incredible in her long hair but did not have the cash to buy them. So what I did was sell my favorite possession, my pocket watch that had been handed down in my family for generations. I was very pleased with the thought of seeing her face on Xmas morning when she opened the box and saw the wonderful combs for her beautiful hair.

Xmas morning came and she gave me a gift. It was a wonderful chain for my pocket watch...the watch I had just sold! Then I noticed she had cut her hair. She had sold her hair to buy my watch chain!

[​IMG]

As much as that must have sucked, I think that's really great. Clearly you were meant to be...

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]

m. nigh shyamalan would option this William Sydney Porter screenplay and steal our movie going dollars yet again.

seriously though did you ever get the watch back? i actually collect old hamilton pocket watches.

15. S. Paul

S. Paul Senior member

My grandmother gave a handmade toaster oven cozy to my siblings and I one year when I was in my late teens. What's a toaster oven cozy, you ask? Apparently, it's a small shaped blanket that fits over your toaster oven when not in use. This one in particular had a smiling toaster oven on it and the words "Toaster Oven" and was done in several shades of brown/tan.

It should be noted that neither I, nor my siblings, owned a toaster oven. lol.

However, I will say this: that gift has become the white elephant gift in the family and is secretly planted from one person's house to another just about every Christmas.

I will also mention that when I was in my early 20's, she gave me a small gym towel with my name embroidered and a bouncing, smiley basketball ironed on it. It sat unused for a few years but within the past couple years I have been using it at every league bball game I play. Silly as it may look, her heart was in the right place and after she became ill and is gone, I feel like it's a little bit of a tribute.

SP

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

17. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm lolling at my desk to this post's responses. [​IMG]

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

My grandmother gave a handmade toaster oven cozy to my siblings and I one year when I was in my late teens. What's a toaster oven cozy, you ask? Apparently, it's a small shaped blanket that fits over your toaster oven when not in use. This one in particular had a smiling toaster oven on it and the words "Toaster Oven" and was done in several shades of brown/tan.

It should be noted that neither I, nor my siblings, owned a toaster oven. lol.

However, I will say this: that gift has become the white elephant gift in the family and is secretly planted from one person's house to another just about every Christmas.

I will also mention that when I was in my early 20's, she gave me a small gym towel with my name embroidered and a bouncing, smiley basketball ironed on it. It sat unused for a few years but within the past couple years I have been using it at every league bball game I play. Silly as it may look, her heart was in the right place and after she became ill and is gone, I feel like it's a little bit of a tribute.

SP

[​IMG] me tears a flowin

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I'm lolling at my desk to this post's responses. [​IMG]

+1 well done pio, you are such a gent!

20. musicguy

musicguy Senior member