• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Job Ever?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am the proud graduate of 2 jobs featured on "Dirty Jobs".

1. Hot tar roofing. This one sucked and did not last long, though with the exception of this I have never quit a summer job. However, it was very unsafe and I did not get paid when I was supposed to. Doing flat roofs, you use a bunch of tar and gravel. My job...filling the 5 gallon pale with the gravel and pulling it up the pulley (3 or 4 stories) all day. Hundreds of buckets. There was a guy with scars on his face from when (they say) they put a bucket over his head as a joke and there was still bits of hot tar in it.

2. Asphalt paving. Burned holes through the soles of my work boots every few weeks. Do I need to say more?

The above job was not too bad, I do not mind hard work if the people are OK. But I did work for the city doing roadway maintenance too. It was pretty tough working with a group of people who for the most part did not care at all about quality or efficiency. We would do things patently wrong then everybody would have a laugh about being back next year. I was in business school before doing the degree I am in right now and they always said money compensation was below satisfaction/feeling of job well done on the list of desired rewards and I thought it was a bunch of crap. But then I worked there, where there was 0 satisfaction and it was tough.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Janitor cleaning out public restrooms after outdoor rock concerts.
I can honestly say I've stood in six inches of soggy cigarette butts as I shoveled piles of debris into storm drains. Then there were the restrooms. We busted in like swat team with a gallon of pine -sol and blasted everything with a fire hose.
To this day I will not eat concession food at any event after seeing it fester in the sun near arcs of vomit.
Definitely gave me a perspective on humanity.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones
I have alot of family living there, and there are parts of it that would not only qualify for aid from the World Food program and Unicef - but possibly UN peacekeeping troops as well.

The seaport is nice, as is the ballpark, but like philly there are large parts of the city that walking in after 5 pm would not be considered too wise...

BTW, who is that blond in your avatar? She looks like one of my conquests...
smile.gif

Fair enough. Most people just generally give the whole of Balmer a bad name, some parts of it are actually very nice.

No one seems to know who my avatar is, we just call her the beer wench, per the link in my signature.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first real job in high school was cleaning a butcher shop, for less than minimum wage (legal at the time). The job became really nasty when the butcher made me clean the meat locker floor. It hadn't been cleaned in more than a year, so there was about a 1" thick layer of dried blood under the sawdust. Once it got wet, the stench was absolutely revolting. To top it off, the butcher decided the ammonia I was using wasn't working, so he added chlorine bleach to the mix. Moron.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Working as a berry picker. I worked for an entire week when I was 15 as a Raspberry picker. 10 hour days, with only 1 break.

I got paid $35.00 at the end of the week. Total bullsh!t

reminds me of napoleon dynamite.

thinc

Reaction score
First job in high school was stock boy at a book store located in the apple complex (5 infinite loop I believe). Lots of heavy lifting and the sales manager had a bit of a holier than thou attitude, a real dick. But it funded my arcade addiction at the time.

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
You seem to enjoy it.

Tremendously! Enormously! Extremely!
lol-049.gif

Originally Posted by amerikajinda
and she's quite good at it!

My worst job was when I was 15 and had to deliver coupons for a new hairdresser shop door-to-door throughout local neighborhoods...

Well thank you, love.

But... I thought your worst job was had to bang married East-Asian women when you were 25, true?
lol-041.gif

highgrade

Reaction score
fed ex warehouse during summer. had to empty out 50 + foot trailers when it was 100 degrees outside. it was like working in an oven. people routinely passed out bc of the heat and there were many sprained ankles and other injuries when an entire wall of packages would collapse on the poor idiot that didn't move out of the way quickly enough. interestingly enough, it's the reason i never use fed ex for shipping. you would never believe how we treated those packages, and how many of them ended up on the factory floor, ripped open and trampled.

the benefits were 1) excellent pay that allowed me to not have to work during the school year and even better 2) you can eat whatever you want b/c you will lose a lot of weight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads