• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Interview Attire Advice Ever

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I only read about 10 replies in the thread before I got bored.

Thanks for the clarification.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Im MCP1 (It relates to the research I do)

Im a Senior at UofM.

Compared to what people here know, I know next to nothing. I tried to give a little help but it was mostly ignored.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it really wasnt as funny as i was hoping.

One guy even suggested allen edmonds wingtips, not bad.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's niece recently completed her residency in pediatrics, and we attended a celebratory event in which the men were striving to be well dressed. They included both young physicians completing their residencies and a number of senior physicians as well. In all, they were an appallingly ill-dressed group of men.

Rationally, I realize that one good doctor is probably of more benefit to humanity than all the editors of gun magazines that ever were, are now or ever shall be. I am also well aware that these men, certainly the senior physicians, are making a helluva lot more money than I'll ever see. Nonetheless, I couldn't help feeling a certain sense of superciliousness as I beheld these uncouth-looking men in their cheap, tasteless, ill-fitting attire.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't care if my doctor is well dressed. I want him to be comfortable. When you go to work, you dress appropriately for the situation. If you're pulling a 12 hour shift working in a hospital, you should be comfortable.

That aside, there's nothing wrong with the thread... it's just how the average man considers dress. It's a sad state, but it's not appalling. It's whatever you would find pretty much anymore. Mediocre.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
To be honest, I don't care if my doctor is well dressed. I want him to be comfortable. When you go to work, you dress appropriately for the situation. If you're pulling a 12 hour shift working in a hospital, you should be comfortable.
Scrubs, sneakers or rubber-soled shoes FTW.

Some people don't get that. I wear leather-soled shoes if I'm doing a 7-5 rotation. Anything longer, and the rubber comes out.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
My wife's niece recently completed her residency in pediatrics, and we attended a celebratory event in which the men were striving to be well dressed. They included both young physicians completing their residencies and a number of senior physicians as well. In all, they were an appallingly ill-dressed group of men. Rationally, I realize that one good doctor is probably of more benefit to humanity than all the editors of gun magazines that ever were, are now or ever shall be. I am also well aware that these men, certainly the senior physicians, are making a helluva lot more money than I'll ever see. Nonetheless, I couldn't help feeling a certain sense of superciliousness as I beheld these uncouth-looking men in their cheap, tasteless, ill-fitting attire.
This seems a common occurrence with me as well especially at events where there are a number of what one would call "pillars of the community". Some of those people also strike me as the type that would wage a small war against fragrances. Certainly, the idea that these men drive around in Porsches in sandals and baggy tee-shirts on their weekends isn't far-fetched. ---- I also note that for a message board of aspiring medical professionals, there seems to be a general lack of grammatical decorum.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I also note that for a message board of aspiring medical professionals, there seems to be a general lack of grammatical decorum.

U dun need grammer 2 be a doc.

Say thanks at least they're typing so you can read it. I can't wait until the electronic medical record is standard everywhere.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
U dun need grammer 2 be a doc. Say thanks at least they're typing so you can read it. I can't wait until the electronic medical record is standard everywhere.
I think it would be nice if a profession that requires a certain level of intellect would maintain particular standards.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Picking about grammar, really?

It is a bunch of college students (half the time stressed out premeds) typing on a very informal message board. I really think grammar is the least of their worries, and most of the time, everything is readable.

If you look at another thread, there was someone fretting over making a typo on one word (univeristy) on his application. In the necessary setting, I am betting most people pay attention to grammar.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I'd point them all to the AskAndy forum where they could ask to their heart's content about dull interview attire and the ever-present Jos.A Banks sales.

Cruiser could pontificate about casual elegance, and the they could all learn the art of logic and rhetoric over at the Interchange.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Picking about grammar, really? It is a bunch of college students (half the time stressed out premeds) typing on a very informal message board. I really think grammar is the least of their worries, and most of the time, everything is readable. If you look at another thread, there was someone fretting over making a typo on one word (univeristy) on his application. In the necessary setting, I am betting most people pay attention to grammar.
It's not how you act when someone is watching you, but rather how you act when no one is. As a Grammar Nazi (TM), I'm appalled when older and seemingly intelligent people ignore grammatical rules and use spellings that you'd expect from a 12 year old girl who listens to Britney Spears and sends SMS messages. My girlfriend is also getting ready for her premed at a rather well known school in Cambridge, and if anything, she'd vehemently disagree with your justification (and yes, we use proper grammar and punctuation even in our IMs). A lot of us have crazy hours, too, and that's not stopped us from using proper grammar and form when communicating -- formally or otherwise. It's a nice try, but at the end of the day, your justification is nothing short of an excuse for sloppiness and indifference.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
It's not how you act when someone is watching you, but rather how you act when no one is.

As a Grammar Nazi (TM), I'm appalled when older and seeming intelligent people ignore grammatical rules and use spellings that you'd expect from a 12 year old girl who listens to Britney Spears and sends SMS messages.

My girlfriend is also getting ready for her premed at a rather well known school in Cambridge, and if anything, she'd vehemently disagree with your justification (and yes, we use proper grammar and punctuation even in our IMs).

A lot of us have crazy hours, too, and that's not stopped us from using proper grammar and form when communicating -- formally or otherwise. It's a nice try, but at the end of the day, your justification is nothing short of an excuse for sloppiness and indifference.

Fair enough, I guess we will just disagree on this topic. I believe in allowing greater leeway with grammar in informal settings. I guess I am just not a Grammar Nazi.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Fair enough, I guess we will just disagree on this topic. I believe in allowing greater leeway with grammar in informal settings. I guess I am just not a Grammar Nazi.

And that's fine. I make more than my fair share of mistakes, and I probably do not check my SF posts for grammatical validity as vehemently as I would an email to a client.

However, I just think that there is a fine line between greater leeway and indifference. Which is the point I was trying to make, IMHO.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
It's not how you act when someone is watching you, but rather how you act when no one is.

As a Grammar Nazi (TM), I'm appalled when older and seeming intelligent people ignore grammatical rules and use spellings that you'd expect from a 12 year old girl who listens to Britney Spears and sends SMS messages.

My girlfriend is also getting ready for her premed at a rather well known school in Cambridge, and if anything, she'd vehemently disagree with your justification (and yes, we use proper grammar and punctuation even in our IMs).

A lot of us have crazy hours, too, and that's not stopped us from using proper grammar and form when communicating -- formally or otherwise. It's a nice try, but at the end of the day, your justification is nothing short of an excuse for sloppiness and indifference.

I would actually agree with you 100%. My grammar and spelling aren't perfect but I do try; even in informal settings.

When I send texts, despite having to rely on T9 rather than a full QWERTY keyboard i.e. more buttons to press, I still type the full word and use correct punctuation (even though a freaking ' takes me 6 key presses).

Oh well, such is life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads