Worst Dressed Male TV Characters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by doughboysc, May 15, 2012.

1. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Kevin Dillon (Drama) on Entourage
    Rainn Wilson (Dwight) on The Office
    Tom Bergeron (himself) on Dancing With The Stars / Americas Funniest Videos
    Kevin James (Doug) on King of Queens
    Jim Belushi (Jim) on According to Jim
    The late Jerry Orbach (Lenny) on the original Law & Order

Will think of more...

2. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Hah, I actually used to watch that show a lot. Then it became absurd...

Any show from the 90s contains hilariously bad examples of menswear. I've wondered, as a younger guy (24), if people in the 90s realized that the characters dressed badly and the costume designers simply didn't care, or if they actually thought it looked good. They say men are more concious to the world of fashion now, but how much of that is true, and how much of it is people simply not liking the fashion from a couple decades ago?

3. TimelesStyle

I think it was just the style in the 90s. My father, who I consider an excellent dresser and very style-conscious (his family used to be in the menswear business) certainly dressed the part then (suit jackets 1-2 in too long, trousers a bit on the baggy side, pleated everything, too much break, lots of textured weave shirts) and in the last ten years has started having most of the nicer suits in his closet re-cut to be more in line with today's standards.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

What about Oscar Madison (Jack Klugman) or Norm Peterson (George Wendt)? :confused:

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Any of dozens of entertainers from the 1960s and 70s could make this list. (More than a few modern day entertainers could also qualify, of course.)

But while admittedly a comedic character, whose wardrobe was very much a running joke, Herb Tarlek (of WKRP in Cincinnati) deserves at least an Honorable Mention. In one episode, Herb explained that he bought all his suits from a golf pro shop in Kentucky.

[​IMG]

All hail Herbert Ruggles Tarlek, Jr.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  6. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

Frank Bonner!

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

but that is intentional.

i think with any contender here, you have to take into consideration the role they play. many characters are dressed bad, or unstylish as part of the character.

for example, in the ncis characters, gibbs i think is supposed to be that way. he is a very utilitarian character, for his choice of clothing to be spot on would not jive. dinozzo on the other hand is supposed to be suave, so any mistakes in his dress are valid for this thread.

jus sayin

win!

8. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely curious, what's negative to you about how these two men dress/dressed?

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. TimelesStyle

I never watch DWTS, but on AFV he just sometimes wears the weirdest stuff, like four button suits, tan suits with dark shirts, etc. I'd understand that stuff in the 90s, but this was all within the past few years.

Orbach's character just had the typical "old man who doesn't care about clothes and sees the value and durability in a good pair of polyester pants" look which one would expect from an aging New York police detective. Not saying his style wasn't fitting of the character, just that it was the ultimate non-style.

10. FillW

FillW Senior member

There was a Special Feature on one of the season dvd sets about how they dressed the actors in the series. They went into detail about how they had to dress the actors and guest stars/extras who appear in each episode.

They comment on Michael Weatherly's clothes and mention that they think the ties he wore in the show "brought back" skinny ties.

I think Sean Murray's character looks good in a casual way. He does wear dark dress shirts with sport coats but I like to do that too.

11. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

Gareth Keenan - The Office UK

[​IMG]

12. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

I went to school with him! The actor, not the character.

13. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

x100000000000000000
    The guy wears a slice of pizza under his chin. The worst.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  14. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

He was a big fan of the Full Clevland. Any male outfit that includes both a white patent leather (or plastic) belt, and matching white shoes.:teach:

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Gibbs is a good shout from current TV shows. His 'style' is a bit enigmatic to me. As a dedicated hoorah former marine you might expect him to be a bit more meticulous about his threads but it seems he goes out of his way to not just be utilitarian but outright frumpy. Overcoat, sport coats several sizes too big. Polo shirts that button somewhere near his sternum and always more undershirt showing than could ever be excused.

I quite like DeNozzo's look some days but it's evolved some way from his roll neck sweaters in the early shows. I always cringe on behalf of the SF collective when I see his point collars!