1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

worst draft pick in sports

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by esquire., Jul 1, 2005.

1. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Leaf, no question. I was wrong on him. Can admit it now, but I thought he was great coming into the League.

2. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

If we're going to give injured players the benefit of the doubt, then we need to strike Leaf from that list as well since he injured his wrist. That wrist injury- torn ligaments- forced him to miss the entire 99 season and he was never physically the same player ever again. We're saying that he's such a big disappointment cause he was such a physical specimen, but once you take that away with the injury, is it really a surprise that he would fail? All we have to judge him before he got injured was his rookie season where he played as poorly as possible. However, we all know that it takes a few seasons for a QB to develop. And, a healthy Leaf only had his rookie season to prove himself. Leaf probably could have never won back the Chargers due to his earlier behavior. But, from what I read, he wasn't a psycho when he tried to play for the other teams- his wrist was just too f'ed up. So, here's a twist on the question: assuming that the Chargers are the real thing with Brees, should the Chargers be happy with not getting Manning? Oh sure, Manning is a pro bowler and going to the hall of fame. Yet, from his record in college and against the Patriots, it seems like Manning is the type who will never lead a team to the championship. He's too good to cut your losses and get rid of, but not good enough to win it all either. Leaf was such a flaming diaster that it forced the Chargers to cut him and completely rebuild. Perhaps, in some twisted away, its better that the Chargers never got Manning.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

I know Mandarich was a bust relative to his talent, but i thought he had some relatively decent years, at least productive. Certainly never justified his pick, but I thought he ended up being servicable. Now Brian Bosworth on the other hand, I thought was a total bust.

4. Stu

Stu Senior member

I think you are being unfair here. First of all, the last 3 years they've gone up against the best dynasty the NFL has had perhaps since the Niners of the '80s. No one has done much beating of New England lately. Plus, Peyton is not responsible for the Colts' poor defense against the run. In a way he is, I guess, because of hit his salary makes against the cap, but you get my point.

Yeah he's played poorly against New England, but poor performances by his offensive line, recievers and the run defense have all contributed mightily to those defeats.

5. mkk

mkk Senior member

When I said maybe Darko Milicic I don't mean him alone, but hyped early draft picks whom teams don't really use. Sure, sometimes teams draft in anticipation of a need in the not-too-distant future. But some teams end up with too many players at one or two positions. I think that Portland's selection of Jermaine O'Neal was pretty bad. Maybe he needed to "mature," coming straight from high school, but he never really had a chance to do anything until he went to Indiana. Portland didn't get much for O'Neal - an aging Dale Davis, but...

Courtney Brown has been injured too often, and even when healthy, has been rather unproductive.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Thracozaag @ July 01 2005,07:33) Sam bowie was hurt, but he might have been a great one, actually. Â Heath Shuler was another horrible pick. koji
    I know Mandarich was a bust relative to his talent, but i thought he had some relatively decent years, at least productive. Certainly never justified his pick, but I thought he ended up being servicable. Now Brian Bosworth on the other hand, I thought was a total bust.
    How could I forget "Da Boz"...??.?.? ("Stone Cold") koji

7. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I am sticking with my Len Bias nomination as worst draft pick ever. A bust is a bust is a bust. I don't think you can exclude guys who are injured (or dead). The title of the thread is worst draft pick in sports. I would think anytime a #2 pick is used on a guy who never suits up for your team (even if you didn't pay him), thats is essentially a wasted pick. At least the Chargers sold some season tickets when they signed Leaf. The Celts got nothing. nada. zip. zilch. for all intents and purposes, the team with the last pick in the last round of the 1986 draft got more with their pick than the Celtics did with the #2 pick in the draft.

Just a disgruntled Boston fan and his two pennies :)

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'd like to nominate every single draft pick ever made by the Timberwolves, save "” obviously "” Garnett in '95 and maybe Szczerbiak in '99. If the "worst" label were applied on the aggregate of all a franchise's picks, the 'Wolves win in a run-away.

9. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

How about Grant Hill? A great player with excellent talent, but he has been plagued by injuries.

10. mkk

mkk Senior member

No way it's Grant Hill. Remember, he and Jason Kidd were NBA co-Rookies of the Year in '93-'94. He played quite well with the Pistons(remember how many triple-doubles he put up?), but that ankle injury robbed him of a good part of what could have been his peak years.

11. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Living here in Phoenix, home of the Arizona Cardinals, I have a plethora of riches to choose from in this category. How about: 2002 - Wendell Bryant - #12 pick 1999 - David Boston - #8 pick 1998 - Andre Wadsworth - #3 pick 1996 - Leeland McElroy - #32 pick Yep - that's what happens when your home team is one of the worst in the game year in and year out.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

If you think they're bad, check out the Knicks draft record (sans Patrick Ewing). It's a horror show. koji

13. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Hell, no. You've obviously never followed the Clippers, one of the worst franchises in sports even as it consisently turn a nice tidy profit for the owner.The Clippers have consisently been bad, and always had lottery picks almost every year. Yet, they've almost never been able to even slide into the playoffs which is evidence of how poor their draft picks were. Compare that to the relative playoff success of the Knicks and the Timberwolves over that same span. Elgin Baylor is like an older Michael Jordan. Great basketball player, but horrible GM. Imagine MJ selecting Kwame Brown every year, and that's more or less Baylor's track record with the NBA Lottery. Timberwolves haven't even been around that long. When they've been sucking it up as long as the Clippers, then we can talk. And, despite how bad the rest of their picks may have been, they got Garnett, a top 50 player, and Wally S. which balances out how bad the rest of their picks may have been. With the Clippers, their best draft pick ever was Danny Manning, #1 pick in 88. Even though he was an all-star and a good player, he was nowhere as good as Garnett or Ewing ever were. The Clippers wasted a #1 pick on Olkawandki, #3 on Benoit Benjamen, etc... I would go on but I've tried my best to suppress any lingering memories about all the draft picks the Clippers wasted. And, with regards to the Arizona Cardianls, David Boston was actually a good pick- a Pro Bowler wide receiver who had both strength and speed.

14. mkk

mkk Senior member

Bradford, I don't know how I could have forgotten, but as you point out Andre Wadsworth was a terrible bust.

15. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I never understood the way Detroit handled Darko.

This is the way Detroit's GM, Joe Dumars, spins it:

They knew that Darko was a project, and that it would take him a few seasons to develop. Detroit projected that Darko would be the better player in the long run compared to the other players selected after Darko who've been able to contribute immediatley such as Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwayne Wade. Detroit knew that those players were going to be special, but they believe that once Darko develops, he would be better than all those players.

Even if you buy that BS, why didn't they simply let Darko continue to develop in Europe where he could get playing time rather than languish on the bench for the past two seasons.

Even though Larry Brown has the reputations as a great teacher of the game, he almost never gives rookies playing time. During the Olympics, he even shackled LeBron to the bench. And, Detroit's roster was too deep, Darko wasn't going to get a lot of minutes. Plus, if it was expected to compete for the title, Detroit didn't have games to throw away for the development of a rookie.

It just seems Darko has actually regressed the past two seasons by sitting on the bench.