Worst Current Menswear Looks? And define AmJack?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Carey

Carey Senior member

So which button are you stupposed to button on a 3-button suit jacket? Top or middle?

Thanks

If the lapel is rolled so as the top button-hole is in the curve of the lapel, then it is not meant to be buttoned. That is the traditional three button suit.

If the lapels of the jacket are pressed so the lapel ends before the top button-hole, then the top and middle are to be buttoned. I have never liked that look, and I think it looks contrived and too trendy.

I never abandoned the two button suit. Three years ago I passed up a great deal on a Norman Hilton three-button, because the "sack" styling lacks a suppressed waist. It makes everyone look dumpy.

The definitive answer on which button to fasten for any suit jacket is always and only the top button. If there are three buttons, then that is one too many.

2. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

As to the 3B/2.5B thing - can you force the lapel to roll nicely into a mid-buttoning stance on a suit that's more meant for 2-out-of-3-buttoning?

Also, as to the rubber-soled shoe thing - both price and weather come into it. I would not wear $300 or even $200 shoes to a club or a casual party, yet I wouldn't want to wear sneakers. And in wintry towns like Boston, leather soles are both a foolish investment and suicidal for outdoor-jaunts half the year.

Thirdly, striped shirts are OK.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Don't make this into a class warfare issue. That isn't my point. You lost me at KFS.

So what is the shoe with the above ensemble?

Oh, I wasn't -- far too pedestrian. Merely making a point that a single offense shouldn't be the arbiter of a person's sartorial fate, nor of their efforts.

I think you're on point with this:

Regards,
    Huntsman

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

This reminds me of Adams' Corollary, of which yours truly is the author. It is the corollary to "Those people who think they know everything are annoying to those of us who do."

Adams' Corollary: "Those people who act entitled are annoying to those of us who are."

Funny, that [​IMG].

First time I saw an example of this burgeoning species was as I was walking through the parking lot yesterday -- a male pulled in front of me in a blue Audi, making me stop short, silly me I wasn't expecting a car to pull into and park in a hatched no parking zone. He got out, arrayed in the above plumage plus a bemused smirk, and sauntered off. Saw another example nearly ten minutes later and thought I was seeing double, but as this one was leaner, apparently they reproduce by contagion.

~ Huntsman

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

back to the topic:

seems like giant aviator sunglasses is becoming the eyewear of choice for the modern amjack. and tsubo shoes.

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No! They can't ruin aviators. Why don't they stick to the Oakley sport sunglasses?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

No! They can't ruin aviators. Why don't they stick to the Oakley sport sunglasses?
    Haven't you seen the "I have no Style" thread?

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I will always think of it is as the Top Gun look.

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

You're right, they can't -- meaning that aviators will survive the onslaught without the least damage to their timeless classicism. So will Oakleys, for that matter.

10. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

Point one:
    I sweat like a beast when I work out, but my t-shirt (which isn't too tight, nor too voluminous) doesn't restrict my movement. I don't want to see your hairy armpit, or get an unfiltered whiff of your stench when you are doing your flies. There was a men's player sporting your look at the US Open this past week, and he looked like a vulgarian.

Considering I work out at home 95% of the time, and the rest of the time is at my university's gym at quite early in the morning, I do not run into anyone. Therefore I wear what I want when I work out. You would get a stench regardless of the shirt I am wearing; a fellow gym goer like yourself should know this. Are you also pompous enough to complain when you see older gentleman with ear hair coming out?

Agree to disagree.

Glad we agree here.
    Again, I will reiterate that the majority of men do not know, nor do they care, the differences between a rubber and leather soled shoe. I know because I have had discussions with colleagues and friends -- it is sadly a point lost on them, but I do not discourage them wanting to dress better, and if the soles of their shoes are rubber, so be it. I can live with it; can you?

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Again, I will reiterate that the majority of men do not know, nor do they care, the differences between a rubber and leather soled shoe. I know because I have had discussions with colleagues and friends -- it is sadly a point lost on them, but I do not discourage them wanting to dress better, and if the soles of their shoes are rubber, so be it. I can live with it; can you?

then theyre not amjacks, perhaps? they just dont have the same sartorial inclinations like you.

12. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

then theyre not amjacks, perhaps? they just dont have the same sartorial inclinations like you.

Exactly.

13. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Haven't you seen the "I have no Style" thread?

Textbook case.

If Mustang Mike is not a troll, I hope for his sake that he finds his own sartorial voice soon.

14. Carey

Carey Senior member

Considering I work out at home 95% of the time, and the rest of the time is at my university's gym at quite early in the morning, I do not run into anyone. Therefore I wear what I want when I work out. You would get a stench regardless of the shirt I am wearing; a fellow gym goer like yourself should know this. Are you also pompous enough to complain when you see older gentleman with ear hair coming out?

Agree to disagree.

Glad we agree here.

The sleeveless shirt always makes the wearer look like a Neanderthal. So, I just say no to armpit hair viewing/exposing anywhere outside of a bathe. An old guy with ear hair probably can't even see it when he looks in the mirror. Hell, I have to take off my glasses just so I can see my own nose hair when I am trying to trim it back.

I don't like these looks/trends, and that is what this thread is about. Rubber soled shoes, when worn with a suit or with business casual clothes in dry weather, lacks the finished quality that makes a man a polished dresser. Wearing rubber soled shoes, when (weather permitting) leather is acceptable, is giving up on dressing better. The look you have accepted is a half-hearted attempt above jeans and trainers. I understand why people make these choices, but I will not condone it or just give up and join them either.

15. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I won't pick on the bumpkin who thinks the Cracker Barrell is fine dining. The recent college grad who is now making over $100K a year and thinks fine dining is a $50 steak and a $300 bottle of whatever costs $300 deserves the derision of being labelled a Jackass.

Best post in the thread, imho, as I think there is a tendency to conflate social class with AmJackism, which is simply not so. AmJacks are not those uncouth types in the fly-over states, who get looked down upon by well-educated, highly-paid elites from the coasts, AmJacks are those whose money, regardless of how much there is, is ill-spent.