• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst '80s songs?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many many many horrible songs from that decade. Too many to count. I've mercifully forgotten most of them, or those college bong hits have done the trick for me. Still, two stand out as exceptionally offensive:

Wake me up before you go go (Wham)
Everybody Wang Chung tonight (Wang Chung)

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any song done by a band with the name "white" in it; Great White, White Lion, Whitesnake.....

koji

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"We Built This City" - Starship

No contest.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you guys pretty much summed up the worst ones. I just want to say that there were also some great songs from the 80s. Just like any other decade one might choose, there are some duds along with the greats. I don't think the 80s had a larger share of duds though.

And, George Michael redeemed himself with Faith after leaving Wham.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu: Yes. That album was voted one of the best that year by the LA Times critics and other critics in general. It is a much more mature work than his Wham crap. I like it.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu: Do I consider Faith as good as the stuff REM or U2 put out? No. Nor is it as good as Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Nor is it as good as Tears for Fears. But, I do like it much better than Wham. I also think it's better than Duran Duran.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu: Do I consider Faith as good as the stuff REM or U2 put out?  No.  Nor is it as good as Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits.  Nor is it as good as Tears for Fears.  But, I do like it much better than Wham.  I also think it's better than Duran Duran.
Not the early Duran Duran stuff, imo.

koji

marc37

Reaction score
Thracocaag: why are you called that? That is a real mystery of the world to me. You name is koji yet you use Thracocaag, WHY???

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was "limewire-ing" yesterday and decided to see what a search for "80s" turned up. Truly a dreadful decade musically.

Stu: your examples of Wang Chung and Wham are precisely the kind of songs that came up in the search. In addition: Rick Astley, A Flock of Seagulls, Billy Ocean, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Level 42 and Naked Eyes. To my ears, a bunch of one-hit wonders, all selling the same sort of over-engineered, synth-pop pablum.

Or, as you say, it could've been the bong, too.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dakota: Well, I still say the 80s didn't have a greater share of duds than any other decade. REM, U2, Dire Straits, Tears for Fears, John Hiatt, Tom Waits (put out some good stuff then), Sting, Thriller (MJ's best), Bonnie Raitt, UB40, Ziggy Marley, et al.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Nominated for worst song:

"I Touch Myself" by The Divinyls
"You Give Love a Bad Name" Bon Jovi

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu: Do I consider Faith as good as the stuff REM or U2 put out?  No.  Nor is it as good as Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits.  Nor is it as good as Tears for Fears.  But, I do like it much better than Wham.  I also think it's better than Duran Duran.
Bachbeet: I respect your taste and you are certainly right that it is better than Duran Duran and Wham. But then again, that bar ain't exactly high.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu: Thanks for the compliment. And, my comparison's to both Duran Duran/Wham on the one end and REM, U2 on the other were just to give some perspective. If that's the spectrum, I'd say Faith is more than halfway to the REM side.

And, I forgot to mention a group that put out some great sounds in the 80s - The Pretenders. Sorry, Chrissy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads