• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worn-out shirt cuffs

frankie lee

Reaction score
Many of my dress shirts are showing wear on the edges of the cuffs. The shirts are all 3-4 years old, non-French cuff, and are made by Thomas Pink and YSL. I know Pink has a bad reputation around here, but it's not total garbage.

I'm wondering what causes this type of wear around the cuff edges. Is it normal for shirts this age to wear out? Is it because the place I have them laundered and pressed is doing a lousy job? Could it be because the sleeves are a little bit too long on many of the shirts? Something else?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collars and cuffs always wear out more quickly than the rest of the shirt. I don't know what you can do know, but in olden times they used to just replace the collar or cuff.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could probably be harsh detergents, getting beaten up in the washer, starch, overly hot dryers, overly hot iron or some combination. I do mine in the gentle cycle, dry them on low heat for only about 15 minutes and hang them to dry until I'm ready to wear them. I should iron them while they're still damp, but I'm too lazy to iron that many at a time, so I just spritz and iron them when I need them.

But yeah, even with the best care, the cuffs will be the first to go.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
For me it is usually cuffs at the fold, then collar points, then the collar at the fold; I assume that everyday friction is the real culprit. There might be mileage in having the cuffs turned?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankie lee
I'm wondering what causes this type of wear around the cuff edges. Is it normal for shirts this age to wear out?.
Yes. It's just friction from the desk at which you are sitting all day long, typing on a keyboard. It's quite normal.

!luc

frankie lee

Reaction score
I guess what I wanted to know is whether 3-4 years is a reasonable lifespan for a shirt. Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your desk top surface like? Is there more wear on the cuff of your mouse side?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankie lee
I guess what I wanted to know is whether 3-4 years is a reasonable lifespan for a shirt. Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.
I've never had a shirt -- whether well-made or otherwise -- die that quickly in the cuffs/collar. Hell, I have a shirt I bought in 1989 that I still wear that doesn't have frayed cuffs or collars. Maybe I'm lucky...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the commercial laundry is doing the damage -- most use hot water to wash and dry on high heat. Wash the shirts yourself on the gentle cycle (warm water) and drip dry.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, you can't go by how old it is, you have to go by approximately how many washes it's been through. The other day, my brother was bragging to me about some shirt he's had since the 90's that's still in great condition. He wears it three times a year or something...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Collars and cuffs always wear out more quickly than the rest of the shirt. I don't know what you can do now, but in olden times they used to just replace the collar or cuff.

Even today, collar and cuff replacement is a good part of the shirtmakers business. But, in many instances white contrasting collar/cuffs are used because of matching problems due to fabrics fading or being unavailable(discontinued).

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TandEllen! I know a seamstress who did this work, as a sideline. She replaced collars and cuffs on women's blouses, too.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...shirtwear depends on the time you wear them not on the age of the shirts themselves. I got a shirt that needed the cuffs to be replaced after only one year but as I loved that shirt it got worn really a lot! And washed carfully by hand btw...

...since I know this I order spare cuffs with all the new shirts I have made...

...oh, my shirtmaker stated that one year is really fast for wearing out cuffs - three to four years (as you stated) were more normal...

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash all my non-white cottons in cold water and hang dry. With cuffs and collars, I press and don't irong, as this is hot friction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads