• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worldwide mobile internet access

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really need worldwide?

An unlocked MIFI device that you can stick a local SIM into will handle a fair bit of the world. Small enough to slip into a pocket. Lighter then a pack of matches. Less expensive then a cellphone.

gtg732w

Reaction score
I know for the consultants we send to EMEA/APJ we traditionally get aircards through AT&T. Looks like a credit card and connects anywhere there is GSM cell service. I took one to Greece last year and was able to connect from the islands.
smile.gif
GSM is the common denominator for cell networks between the US and the rest of the world, and AT&T is the only (or largest...?) provider here in the States.

ThePeoplesHero

Reaction score
Was reasding this section last night having lurked on Styleforum for a good while now. Came across this post and reckoned I'd do the right thing and respond! Hope it's not too late.

Anyhow, the device you are looking for is called a BGAN (Broadband Global Area Network). The Thurya mentioned above is one.

You can read all about them here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadba...d_availability

Now, I haved a BGAN - it's from a company called Thrane & Thrane. They are ferociously expensive to maintain as highlighted above. Maximum bandwidth - half a meg is charged at $20 per minute, but you can pear back the service in various ways to save money. Principal is just like a phone. Buy a sim card on contract and insert. Depending on the contract, some vendors will 'subsidise' your device, again just like a phone contract - you might get one free, but that will be on a contract worth $30k for the year.

http://www.thrane.com/Land%20Mobile/...RER%20700.aspx

These devices are only really relevant in locations where little or no infrastructure exists. Pretty much all main centres of population - even in the least developed part of the world - has reasonable access to the internet. Asia and parts of Latin America is well served by 3G now so a MiFi will work well there. Africa not so. 3G is limited but 2G is almost everywhere. I use my BGAN mostly in Africa as I tend to travel to some very, very remote places.

However, some countries will not take kindly to bringing these into their country. Be informed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads