• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

world cup

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who do you think will win? i have money on mexico and france.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My money is always on Argentina…force of habit really. Even if they don’t win the world cup, as long as they beat the English, I’m a happy man.

Jon.

(Actually as a member of the Commonwealth and an Argentine I am always torn as to which side I rather see win)

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care much for soccer, but it's a blast to go to the local authentic Irish pub and watch a match (game? contest? tilt?) at 6:30 in the morning with a bunch of ex-pats.

Hanseat

Reaction score
For obvious reasons I hope that Germany can achieve the same as in the last World Cup i.e. Vice-Champion but for some reaoson I don't belive in it. Then agian, everybody thought we'd drop out after the first round in 2002...

More realisitcally, I think Brasil will make it once agian.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mexico, MP? Sorry, but I have always found Mexico to be highly overrated. And this is in full knowledge of the US being rated 4th in the FIFA ratings--what a joke.

Sadly, I'm not fancying the US's chances this time around given our group.

But I see Argentina, the Netherlands, and Brasil (yawn) going far.

Will there be any surprises do you think? Some no-name making it to the semi-finals?

bob

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea who to root for. Greece knocked themselves out (grrrr) and even though I am part English I don't particularly care for England's style (nor chances). I really doubt France will manage anything substantial, Brazil is always a good bet. Germany, too. How is Argentina's team this time round, Jon?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I like the US team and hope they show well. Tough group, but Beasley and Donovan can run. If those two show up and play with abandon, look out. Hopefully Arena will stick with the 3-5-2, midfield is really our strongest group.

Speed Kills. Brazil will probably win, but it would be nice to see Germany take it at home.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
587025510.jpg

Netherlands.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I dunno, I like the US team and hope they show well. Tough group, but Beasley and Donovan can run. If those two show up and play with abandon, look out. Hopefully Arena will stick with the 3-5-2, midfield is really our strongest group.

Well, I hope we win it all, but I just don't see us doing much.

Either way, I predict Landon Donovan will have little to do with it. No, let me rephrase that, if we win, he will have nothing to do with it, if we lose he will have contributed to that by not being anywhere to be seen.

I really like that we have a pro league now, but I also hope that the Euro-based players shine the most and finally get people to agree that, for instance, Eddie Johnson not going to Europe and Landon Donovan failing in Germany are NOT good things, that staying in the MLS is rather than going to Europe is absolutely not a good thing.

I want to see real break-out performances from Bobby Convey, Beasley, Keller (well, he's too well established to "break-out"), Eddie Lewis, and Onyewu.

And why the hell isn't Berhalter on the squad?

I should probably start a whole new thread....

bob

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly not routing for Italy...

Germany, perhaps. I'll be watching France, of course. So tired of Brazil.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I also hope that the Euro-based players shine the most and finally get people to agree that (...) staying in the MLS is rather than going to Europe is absolutely not a good thing.
At least the Brazilians have understood that. Almost all the 23 players they selected are plaing in Europe (3 from Lyons alone).

So far, the cup looks set to be rather boring, with Brazil a very predictable favorite. We should wait and see though. Remember 2002? France was a huge favorite, all set to win, then fared awfully bad, and outsiders were everywhere in the quarter finals. We could still have a good share of surprises.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
We should wait and see though. Remember 2002? France was a huge favorite, all set to win, then fared awfully bad, and outsiders were everywhere in the quarter finals. We could still have a good share of surprises.

Not to denigrate SK or Japan, but there was some horrible officiating in their games. Homefield advantage? Probably.

bob

seok

Reaction score
i think that coach hiddink will put australia through to second round. i would put money on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads