world cup

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, May 15, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I used to like Barthez (and I'm a former Parisian), but his spitting on a Moroccan referee completely spoiled it for me. Besides, I think he's done.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I used to like Barthez (and I'm a former Parisian), but his spitting on a Moroccan referee completely spoiled it for me. Besides, I think he's done.

[​IMG]

What a tosser

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

england versus hungary right now on fox sports. 0-0 at halftime. becks looks sharp but the team lacks chemistry. they're playing 5 midfilders with carragher as an anchor and gerrard and lampard on at the same time. lampard missed a penalty which england should not have been awarded anyway.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

d'oh! just saw the final score! nevermind...[​IMG]

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

England didn't impress me. It's been almost 60 years since Hungary been a top football nation, plus england was playing at home and scored twice on freekicks with lose hungarian defence.

!luc

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

But you have to give Crouch pops for that turn. For such a tall guy it turns out he can use his feet pretty well.

That PK attempt was pitiful. Couldn't have hit it worse. But I did think it was justified--little to no contact, but the defender went in with two feet with clear intentions.

My luck with this game was that I went upstairs to check my email (hey, it was 0-0) and when I got back down it was 2-1. Nice.

Is Italy playing any friendlies this week? I can't remember if I saw any scores from them, but would like to see how they are playing.

bob

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

Yes - the Azzurri will play two fellow qualifiers, Switzerland & the Ukraine, this week. Francesco returns against the Swiss....[​IMG]

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Yes - the Azzurri will play two fellow qualifiers, Switzerland & the Ukraine, this week. Francesco returns against the Swiss....[​IMG]

No offense, but I was bad and bet my boss (italian descent) that the Azzurri would not make it out of their group.

I think the match fixing scandal will distract them and take away from an otherwise fine team.

9. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Come on people, how did this thread die?

England have Rooney back from his scan. Fit and ready to go.

France lost Cisse in a warm-up match yesterday (Wed). Surgery was required.

Thoughts? Does it change anything?

bob

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

Come on people, how did this thread die?

England have Rooney back from his scan. Fit and ready to go.

France lost Cisse in a warm-up match yesterday (Wed). Surgery was required.

Thoughts? Does it change anything?

bob

Yes, Rooney's back, but I wouldn't say he's fit and ready to go - he hasn't played for six weeks, and I imagine his training has been very light. I'd be surprised if he plays in the opening round unless England looses their first game to Paraguay...

Cisse is a big loss for France. Italy has seen a rash of injuries to the defense and midfield, most likely necessitating the inclusion of that brute, Materazzi, in their starting lineup. A number of other teams are pullng up lame as well - Ballack will miss Germany's opener....

11. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Italy has seen a rash of injuries to the defense and midfield, most likely necessitating the inclusion of that brute, Materazzi, in their starting lineup.

And nothing could make me happier. Thankfully the USA is looking okay. No real injury problems (yet).

bob

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Oh and now it's reported (maybe yesterday actually) that Nedved had to leave training after a knee problem after a collission with a teammate. Good lord, if the US goes into its group with Italy and the Czech Rep plagued by injuries, we could come out on top. And that would surely mean us avoiding Brazil in the second round. Brazil, Croaia, Australia, and Japan? Who takes second in that group?

bob

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

Oh and now it's reported (maybe yesterday actually) that Nedved had to leave training after a knee problem after a collission with a teammate. Good lord, if the US goes into its group with Italy and the Czech Rep plagued by injuries, we could come out on top. And that would surely mean us avoiding Brazil in the second round. Brazil, Croaia, Australia, and Japan? Who takes second in that group?

bob

Croatia

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

And nothing could make me happier. Thankfully the USA is looking okay. No real injury problems (yet).

bob

Are you a fan of Marco Materazzi, or just happy for U.S. b/c he sucks? [​IMG]

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Are you a fan of Marco Materazzi, or just happy for U.S. b/c he sucks? [​IMG]

I don't know him at all. I'm just happy that their are injuries amongst the squads we are facing. [​IMG]

bob