• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

world cup

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
No need to mention Zidane then, or Pirlo.

No need to mention Zidane whatsoever.Where was he against Switzerland,S.Korea,and last night for the most part.I didnt see the Togo game,but even if he shone,Togo are not exactly world class.He did well against Brazil though.

Pirlo was majestic against Germany but did nothing against the Aussies.There are the only two Italy games I have seen.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Awesome. You guys have such more emotional sportscasters than the US does. Ours suck.
If you ever get the chance, try to find the last few minutes of the 1998 final. Our sportcasters went crazy then, I think you get something like 3-4 minutes of solid shouting.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I agree wholeheartedly,there has been no stand out team,and in my mind every stand out player has been a defender rather than a "flair" player.
yeah its been a very defensive World Cup. Kinda boring for the same reason. I'd really like to see some rule changes that free up a team's offense (to steal from NFL parlance) so we start seeing 3-2 games rather than a flood of 0-1 games and 0-0 games going to penalties. Sure, I'm no purist and dont pretend to be, but goals are much more exciting to watch than no goals (although I do love a good penalty shoot out as much as the next guy)

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been unable to watch many matches because of work constraints. For those who followed closely, who would you name as player of the cup (if anyone qualifies)?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
I have been unable to watch many matches because of work constraints. For those who followed closely, who would you name as player of the cup (if anyone qualifies)?
Zidane, without a doubt!

!luc

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this is Style Forum,who thinks Zidane looks more stylish and younger since he shaved his head?
For years he cultivated the mad monk look which I thought was ridiculous.

When you start to lose your hair you should just shave it short. Keeping the sides longer just makes you looker even more bald. I have a slightly receeding hair line and I just keep it really short now. I've gotten many many compliments.

I actually think Domenech looks real good. Very smart looking. Way better than, say, Scolari, in his track pants and polo.

Luc, that picture is hilarious.

bob

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know, I don't think I can name a single individual. Until Germany was knocked out I might have said one of them, but...

Zidane, only if he really shines in the final. But I would put Ribery in that same catagory.

I don't think there's been one stand-out. Both for good and bad. The players you would expect to step up havent' been consistent (the bad) on the one hand, and on the other you have a team like Italy which has 8 goals from 7 different players (the good).

bob

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Zidane, without a doubt!

!luc

Why? I think I must be missing something.As I said in my earlier post in most games he has been anonymous.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Does Ribery's scar talk trash to the opposing team? After a few minutes of running, that sucker looks like it wants to jump off his face and do a little jig.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cannavaro has been immense.
I also thought Rafa Marquez was virtually dragging Mexico through on his own,but with their earlyish exit he is never going to win player of the tournament.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mnemonic
i am not entirely happy that france and italy made it to the final, but it is certainly true that some degree of luck has to bear on a team to get them through the cup. france were not all that impressive today, but they got past spain and brazil in fairly convincing fashion. on the other hand, italy were gifted a berth past australia on a penalty call. i honestly thought australia were going to win. i think many of the "contenders" for this cup failed to show or were quickly eliminated due to the way the brackets worked out. that said, i think italy will take the final.
I don't understand your point. Both France and Italy were simply the best teams of this world cup. Germany didn't show much and was quite lucky to get past the argentinians, France got rid of Brazil (2002 world champion) and Spain (one of the first round's best team along with argentina), Italy was clearly superior to germany (which had quite a weak team, really). I honestly wonder which team played better than these two??
I two would have liked to see brazil against argentina in final, but they were just not up to it tactically.

!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? I think I must be missing something.As I said in my earlier post in most games he has been anonymous.
Zidane played one of his greatest game against Brazil, and he was decisive against Spain.
We can't judge France or Zidane for that matter on the last game against Portugal, afterall the portugese did eliminate England, the Netherlands, and won against mexico during the first round, so it was not exactly a big surprise to find them at this level of the competition. (they made it to euro 2004 final too)
A few other contenders imho are ballack, pirlo, zambrotta, vieira and maniche.

!luc

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Zidane played one of his greatest game against Brazil, and he was decisive against Spain.
We can't judge France or Zidane for that matter on the last game against Portugal, afterall the portugese did eliminate England, the Netherlands, and won against mexico during the first round, so it was not exactly a big surprise to find them at this level of the competition. (they made it to euro 2004 final too)
A few other contenders imho are ballack, pirlo, zambrotta, vieira and maniche.

!luc

Klose. He is the only player on any team to score 5 goals...

Jon.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think Domenech looks real good. Very smart looking. Way better than, say, Scolari, in his track pants and polo.
Yes, Domenech looks very elegant, though he could probably put a little more variety in his outfit. Looks like Emporio Armani to me.
He's 54 years old and goes out with a nicely handsome 30 years old french journalist (estelle denis).

Luc, that picture is hilarious.

bob

Thanks, all the credits to Mr Slim for digging it out
wink.gif

!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Klose. He is the only player on any team to score 5 goals...

Jon.

yes, but only one goal against a world-class team
devil.gif

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads