1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

world cup

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, May 15, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Stats: Italy has not beaten France in official matches since 1978.
    Cohesion: let's hope the magic secret (no longer) sentence the French team players say before a match helps.
    France-Portugal: it feels to me that the French team adapted its pace to that of Portugal in the second half, which made for a rather poor match.
    Sides: I feel more against Italy than for France, if that makes any sense.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Stats: Italy has not beaten France in official matches since 1978.

Wasn't that the same, though, when Italy played Germany--Italy hadn't beaten Germany in many many years? Maybe it was that Germany hadn't lost a match in Dortmund. Something like that, but either way, Italy broke the streak.

bob

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Wasn't that the same, though, when Italy played Germany--Italy hadn't beaten Germany in many many years? Maybe it was that Germany hadn't lost a match in Dortmund. Something like that, but either way, Italy broke the streak.

bob

Oh yeah, not saying this proves anything, just stats. I'm not overly confident for Sunday. The Italians are probably seeking a revenge from the French victory at the euro 2000.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

So, how is everybody planning to watch the match? What will you be wearing, who will be with you, where will you be, what will be served? [​IMG]

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

it was germany who never lost a game in dortmund (14 wins straight), and Italy who had never lost against germany in WC.

!luc

6. Luc-Emmanuel

So, how is everybody planning to watch the match? What will you be wearing, who will be with you, where will you be, what will be served? [​IMG]
    In my living room, on my 36cm widescreen and ikea furniture [​IMG]

!luc

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

ok ive started a poll on the winner....

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

it was germany who never lost a game in dortmund (14 wins straight), and Italy who had never lost against germany in WC.

!luc

Ahh, when an irresistible force meets an immovable object. I guess the irresistible force won.

I will be watching the final most likely by myself at home--my only real football-loving friend is actually in Germany right now at an academic conference. I will serve myself something from the -wurst and -chip families. [​IMG]

I'm torn as to who I want to win. I would like to see Zidane go out on a high note, but feel Italy is playing better and deserve it. I'll just cheer for a good game, I guess.

bob

9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Zidane is the best player in this tournament. If he leads France to victory, he will definitely have to be mentioned in the same breath with Platini.

Really? I think he has played well, but if he wasn't retiring I HIGHLY doubt people would be saying things like this. He has played solid in most games, but do you think he has stood out heads and shoulders above everyone else? He did have that GREAT goal against Spain.

10. Luc-Emmanuel

Really? I think he has played well, but if he wasn't retiring I HIGHLY doubt people would be saying things like this. He has played solid in most games, but do you think he has stood out heads and shoulders above everyone else? He did have that GREAT goal against Spain.
    have you watched the game against brazil?

!luc

11. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

How's the ref (Horacio Elizondo, Argentina) for Sunday, for those who have seen him in action during the World Cup?

ELIZONDO Horacio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nationality: Argentina
    Role: Referee
    Date of birth: 4 November 1963
    Height: 183 (cm)
    Weight: 81 (kg)
    Referee since: 1 January 1994
    First international : Ecuador v Colombia ( 9 October 1996)
    Place of residence: PARADA ROBLES
    Country of residence: Argentina
    Mother language: Spanish
    Other languages: English
    General interests: Playing golf, writing poems
    Best memory: Officiating preliminary matches for different confederations (Central America, Asia and Europe)

12. benecios

benecios Senior member

In my living room, on my 36cm widescreen and ikea furniture [​IMG]

!luc

I hope you enjoy it,I personally wouldnt watch a World Cup Final,especially one with my team playing,on such a tiny TV.

13. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

bob

Germany had never been defeated in Dortmund, but Germany had also never beaten the Italians in the World Cup.

Oops, this was already posted.

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

How's the ref (Horacio Elizondo, Argentina) for Sunday, for those who have seen him in action during the World Cup?

ELIZONDO Horacio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nationality: Argentina
    Role: Referee
    Date of birth: 4 November 1963
    Height: 183 (cm)
    Weight: 81 (kg)
    Referee since: 1 January 1994
    First international : Ecuador v Colombia ( 9 October 1996)
    Place of residence: PARADA ROBLES
    Country of residence: Argentina
    Mother language: Spanish
    Other languages: English
    General interests: Playing golf, writing poems
    Best memory: Officiating preliminary matches for different confederations (Central America, Asia and Europe)

He had the England v. Portugal match....

15. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

He had the England v. Portugal match....

Couldn't watch it. Can you elaborate?

16. romafan

romafan Senior member

Couldn't watch it. Can you elaborate?

No, sorry I didn't see it. I was relaying the info in case you had...

17. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I hope you enjoy it,I personally wouldnt watch a World Cup Final,especially one with my team playing,on such a tiny TV.
    I'll be watching on our "tiny TV" also, surrounded by a bunch of friends from Japan, the Ukraine, Russia, the US, France (so far). It's also about the company you keep. The Americans attending have been warned I don't take questions during the match. [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The Americans attending have been warned I don't take questions during the match. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So uh... Fab... what is the point of this game again? Aren't they supposed to try and kick the ball into the net thingie? Why are they all just running around? Where are the snacks?

19. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

A little like the Super Bowl. You remember- where the guys in white, gold and black kept running exultantly into the end zone, and the guys in green or blue or gray or whatever the fuck it was kept whining about the officiating???

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

A little like the Super Bowl. You remember- where the guys in white, gold and black kept running exultantly into the end zone, and the guys in green or blue or gray or whatever the fuck it was kept whining about the officiating???

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey Steve... if I wanted to hear anything out of your peacenick, flowerchild, treehugging face, I would have asked Michael Moore, Al Gore, or Tim Robbins instead, cause thats who you steal all your opinions from anyways... [​IMG]

The Seahawks should have won that damn game.