• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

world cup

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
here is my take on the diving. much of it isn't. a lot of people who don't player soccer don't realize that when you're running fulll speed, and someone somuch as just nudges you, it can send you flying.

I think you make a good point. There is plenty that is not diving. One thing that comes up quite often with our crap american sportscasters is that they will say something along the line of "...and he goes down looking for a call." Well, no, watch the replay O'Brien you ass. He fell down due to the challenge and then got up. He fell. End of story. You can't call that a dive.

also, there are many times when a player with the ball recieves a foul, but unless he goes to the ground, the referee won't call it. there are times when a player gets fouled and he has to make a split second decision as to whether to fight through it and stay on his feet, because that's to his advantage, or let himself fall to the ground, because that's to his advantage.

I hate this about the game and the rules. In my mind, no harm no foul. Fight through it you wuss. Some players fight for it others hit the ground. C Ronaldo is an example of someone who I've always seen fall while Rooney will fight through it.

And note, if the player keeps the ball and keeps moving, then the ref is supposed to let play go on. He's playing the possession. There's no issue of "getting the call," the call isn't needed.

the rest is actually diving, and the way to solve the problem, whether you guys want to hear this or not, is to pull out yellow cards for it, EVERY TIME.

My problem with this is simply the problem of determining if it is really a dive in that split-second that the ref has. On the other hand, let the technical committee for reffing (or whatever it's called) go over disputed calls or non-calls on diving after the match and hand out yellows post-match. I wouldn't allow them to overturn a result but they could punish someone for their cheating. In generally not a fan of instant-replay or other ways of stopping the match. This would allow punishment without stopping the match. Not a perfect solution, but maybe better than the status quo.

Looking forward to Ger-Arg.

bob

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I hate this about the game and the rules. In my mind, no harm no foul. Fight through it you wuss. Some players fight for it others hit the ground. C Ronaldo is an example of someone who I've always seen fall while Rooney will fight through it.

And note, if the player keeps the ball and keeps moving, then the ref is supposed to let play go on. He's playing the possession. There's no issue of "getting the call," the call isn't needed.

i agree with you, but i don't think it's a problem with the rule. it's a problem of it's interpretation.

My problem with this is simply the problem of determining if it is really a dive in that split-second that the ref has.

i agree, but there are times when the ref determines that the player dove, and yet he doesn't card him. that has to stop.

On the other hand, let the technical committee for reffing (or whatever it's called) go over disputed calls or non-calls on diving after the match and hand out yellows post-match. I wouldn't allow them to overturn a result but they could punish someone for their cheating. In generally not a fan of instant-replay or other ways of stopping the match. This would allow punishment without stopping the match. Not a perfect solution, but maybe better than the status quo.

Looking forward to Ger-Arg.

bob

good idea. they already hand out reds post match if there is a punch or something that the ref doesn't see, but gets shown on camera.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arg/ger at halftime.

bold move, but i would take out ballack.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was about to say..."well, in the 80th min and the German's are really starting to pressure more" and sure enough Germany just scored.

Even up on the 81st min.

bob

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
arg 1 ger 0

the germans are getting spanked.

this is a game that I am sorry to miss, not because the germans are getting beaten, specifically, but these are two good teams representing two different cultures that love football

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, MP, you got half your wish. A clear dive by the Argentine and he gets booked for it. A clear dive by Ballack and nothing.

bob

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm ticked off. I stayed in for lunch thinking Arg was going to win and I check in only to see the Klose got the equalizer and I could have been out catching the end of what appears to be a classic that's headed for a shoot out.

How much whining from Kahn if the Germans lose in penalty kicks?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Germany takes it 4-2 on pks. I'm not sure they really deserve it.

Was Kahn actually out there congratulating Lehmann? JL did a great job.

And what was that to-do at the very end?

bob

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Deutschland haben gewonnen...

Forza Italia!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great game. Heartbreak for Argentina.

When Germany scored near the end of regulation, you knew it would be an uphill battle for Argentina: there was unlikely to be any scoring in the remainder of regulation or overtime, and Germany had a huge advantage at the goalkeeper position.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, MP, you got half your wish. A clear dive by the Argentine and he gets booked for it. A clear dive by Ballack and nothing.

bob

I dont agree,I thought Maxi maybe made a meal of it but I thought there was contact and should have been a penalty.

All in all a very boring game though,the best bit was the fisticuffs at the end.
laugh.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I dont agree,I thought Maxi maybe made a meal of it but I thought there was contact and should have been a penalty.

All in all a very boring game though,the best bit was the fisticuffs at the end.
laugh.gif

The ref was a bit too chummy with the Germans...but barring that, not having Messi and losing the goalkeeper and having his replacement play like **** didn't help.

I hope Germany enjoys losing to either Italy or Brazil (really, who's going to beat Brazil?)

Jon.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I hope Germany enjoys losing to either Italy or Brazil (really, who's going to beat Brazil?)

well, uh... us ?
wink.gif

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads