1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

world cup

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, May 15, 2006.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Wow. That got out of control. My couple of cents on it all:

1. It's too bad that Christiano Ronaldo is such a crying, diving, whiny bit**, otherwise I might feel bad for him and that injury he got. Horrible by the looks of it (also accidently, imo). But his continual crying and diving just make me not care.

2. The reffing was an odd case of not doing enough to control the physical play, while at the same time being too harsh for the smaller stuff. IMO, of course, but he missed some big stuff and was way too trigger happy with others.

3. On a more substantive note, the Dutch just couldn't seem to find any open space. Every pass was to a teammate who had at least one defender on him.

4. Why Ruud wasn't in, I don't know. I'm not familiar with Kuyt (sp?), but he didn't seem to do much. I must have left the house before VofH came on, but I do like him.

What does this mean for the Dutch? How many of these guys will they have for Euro08? Can they build on youth or are these guys too old? I know Cocu will obviously be too old, as will van der Sar probably, but what about the others?

bob

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Italy deserves to win, but that penalty was very generous to say the least.

!luc

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Bravo Francesco! Ciao Socceroos.....

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

i think i am going to cry

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i think i am going to cry

welcome to the world cup.

6. matadorpoeta

The whistle had already gone before this incident took place!
    that doesn't make any difference.

7. matadorpoeta

2. The reffing was an odd case of not doing enough to control the physical play, while at the same time being too harsh for the smaller stuff. IMO, of course, but he missed some big stuff and was way too trigger happy with others.
    bob

the yellow card on figo (for a headbutt) made no sense. if the ref didn't see it, which he didn't, there should not have been a card. if the ref did see it, it was a straight red. there is no explanation for a yellow on that one.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

the yellow card on figo (for a headbutt) made no sense. if the ref didn't see it, which he didn't, there should not have been a card. if the ref did see it, it was a straight red. there is no explanation for a yellow on that one.

The ref has a headset on that lets him talk to other officials; if they saw it (it was captured live on TV) then I could understand why he gave a yellow card and not a red card.

Jon.

9. matadorpoeta

The ref has a headset on that lets him talk to other officials; if they saw it (it was captured live on TV) then I could understand why he gave a yellow card and not a red card. Jon.
    i disagree. if they saw it, it was a red. i got the impression that he handed out a yellow because of the dutch players' protests. if any of the officials saw it, it should have been a straight red.

10. benecios

benecios Senior member

that doesn't make any difference.

Of course it makes a difference,if the ball is not in play how can he give a penalty?

11. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I didn't actually see this, nor was I referring to it. I just meant in general.

But even if the ref doesn't see a foul he can call it if a linesman sees it and notifies him. It happens all the time. That's why those guys are there.

bob

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

110 minutes in and Switzerland vs. Ukraine is still @ 0-0.

Jon.

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

Ukes are through on penalties....[​IMG]

14. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

That game official was horrid and he should never be allowed on the international stage again. His calls were extremely inconsistent in severity. One push was a yellow, and a hard late sliding challenge was a foul. It made no sense. He was also clearly giving the benefit of the doubt to portugal. I would have also lost it if I were a player.

It's time to have three officials on the pitch moving with the flow of action. They should also make fouls count for more. Get five or ten in a match and get a card. This way you could also award fouls for diving instead of going straight to a card.

15. matadorpoeta

Of course it makes a difference,if the ball is not in play how can he give a penalty?

it was a red.

16. matadorpoeta

I didn't actually see this, nor was I referring to it. I just meant in general.

But even if the ref doesn't see a foul he can call it if a linesman sees it and notifies him. It happens all the time. That's why those guys are there.

bob

yes. i know. that's why i said, in a later post, that if any of the officials saw it, it should have been a red. you can't call a yellow on a headbutt.

17. matadorpoeta

Ukes are through on penalties....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. matadorpoeta

That game official was horrid and he should never be allowed on the international stage again. His calls were extremely inconsistent in severity. One push was a yellow, and a hard late sliding challenge was a foul. It made no sense. He was also clearly giving the benefit of the doubt to portugal. I would have also lost it if I were a player.
    i'm assuming you're referring to portugal/holland. i think he blew it becuase he let a lot of calls go in the first half, but became strict in the second half. the first portuguese player to get red carded actually could have been tossed much earlier, but the ref gave him a few breaks. if he had called the first half the way he called the second, the second half would have been a clean game.

19. benecios

benecios Senior member

it was a red.

I was referring to the fact that you said it should have been a penalty,which if the ball isnt in play it plainly cant be.
    Furthermore the ref would be in his rights to give a red but I bet you cant tell me an occasion when this has actually happened.

20. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

[​IMG]
    Well, at least, teams who play very defensively (like switzerland) are out. The same coud be said about australia, whom even when 11 vs 10, played not to take a goal. This world cup is boring, but at least, it's morally acceptable: teams who don't try anything lose at the end.

!luc