1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

World-class umbrellas

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GatorStyle, Apr 23, 2002.

1. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

Does anyone here have any experience with an exceptional, world-class umbrella? As a very belated birthday gift, I've been debating asking for such an umbrella.  I'm thinking Swaine Adeney Brigg (arguably the world's finest umbrella) or something comparable (question: while in London a few years ago, I visited a different, venerable English umbrella maker that had been around for ages.  The name now escapes me, as I'm drawing a blank- does anyone know who I'm thinking of ?)

I'm wondering if anyone can report on their experiences with such an umbrella, as I decide whether such an indulgence is worth it.  One of my fears, of course, is that I'll do what everybody else does with their umbrellas- lose it.  At several hundred dollars per, however, that would be a concern.  I've yet to lose my current umbrellas (a small grey Kenneth Cole and a larger Burberry) so I suspect that my knowledge of a new one's cost would be a great memory enhancer.

For an example of the sort of piece I'm speaking of, think of Ralph Fiennes in The Avengers a few years ago.  (By the way, I defy anyone in this forum to find me a more glaring example of such superb style- Fiennes' pinstriped suits, Windsor-knotted English ties, bowler hats, and  umbrellas- within such a horrible movie.  Generally, movies that exhibit such style- James Bond, etc.- are quite good.  Not in this case)

Thanks for your input.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The umbrella shop you are thinking of, must be James Smith & Sons who have been around since 1830. They have a website: www.james-smith.co.uk which must have been designed at about the same time: no on-line shopping.

3. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

That's the one, Bengal. Thank you.

If anyone knows more of James Smith, or Swaine, or some other similar maker, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

6. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Holy thread bump. Luckily umbrella manufacturers have stayed the same!

7. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

I have a James Smith one-piece umbrella; my only regret, I lost the cover

You are actually wasting money by not getting a JS umbrella because you will spend that money on something crap. Even if live in a dessert, you should get a JS umbrella.

8. brokentelephone

brokentelephone Senior member

I bought one for my dad (James Smith), and it is absolutely top notch. It is basically a tapered cane with umbrella workings on it -- it comes long and then you size it and they attach a metal cap. It's really a thing of beauty. I was at Swaine Adeney Brigg today, and checked their umbrellas and can say definitively they are not nearly as nice (though I wasn't comparing like for like as I am sure JS sells a cheaper verion of the one I bought).

Definitely the nicest umbrellas I've ever seen...