• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World business section picture of today's nytimes

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have seen this elegantly attired man two questions:

a: What is unusual?
b: Is it deliberate (and why)?

koji

wicozani

Reaction score
Looks to me like an unbuttoned, button-down shirt. I would believe it to be deliberate. Didn't Gianni Agnelli also do this at times?

Jeff

wicozani

Reaction score
I do not get the paper version of the NY Times, and it may be that we are referring to different pictures. I can see the picture shown in the link you posted, Andrew. The bottom picture shows Mr. Agnelli wearing his large watch over his shirt cuff. He was quite well known for doing this. I was referring to this picture of Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, the new Chairman, found on the NY Times website here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/20/bu...ss/20fiat.html Jeff

Duveen

Reaction score
To quote from the article: 'With his flowing hair, double-breasted suits and button-down shirts worn unbuttoned, he seems cast in the same stylish mold as Giovanni Agnelli. Like his mentor, he has combined business ascendancy with the reputation in his youth as something of a playboy. His marriage to Ludovica Andreoni is his third. And like all serious Italian tycoons, he has a close interest in a soccer club - he is vice chairman of the club in Bologna, his hometown - in addition to the Fiat-owned Juventus team.'

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to his very square, loose four in hand knot with several dimples? Very nice touch. To ponitficate: there are only 2 rules to looking cool (or stylish, or confident, or elegant, or whatever word your style tribe chooses.)

1) Don't sweat the small stuff, don't care too much,
2) If you can't do (1), at least strive towards it.

A guy on which everything very obviously matches is not a very cool guy. Very put together, maybe. But anal retentive as all hell.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agnelli in his photos favored white Brooks shirts. His successor's shirt is not white and the collar appears too short and too spread to be Brooks. Is this what you mean?

Duveen

Reaction score
koji, STYLESTUDENT has hit on the nub of this - why on earth are you being so cryptic? Are you trying to drive hits to that article as the entire styleforum breathlessly ponders what immensely complex meaning you may have derived from the man's suit-shirt-tie combo? Just spit it out, man.
smile.gif

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's try this riddle again. Thracozaag likes Neopolitan. Marinella tie tied in a Windsor knot?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, no...actually I noticed on his working buttonholes on his suit sleeve (right) he left one undone...probably to match the unbuttoned collar on the shirt (I think Barbera does this too).

koji

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In every picture I can remember of Agnelli, he always wore his watch on the outside of his sleeve. If I recall correctly, the reason for this is so that he could easily read the time without the hassle of moving the sleeve. Personally, I rather like my watch on the inside of my sleeve; it is a welcome surprise every time it pops out
biggrin.gif
. Luckily, Agnelli never wore a F. P. Journe, because they would have been wasted on him. Jon.

Duveen

Reaction score
The perils of the internet...

Not that I'd have caught it anyhow, but in the online phot you can't see the suit sleeve. Sigh...

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've known about leaving the last jacket-sleeve button undone for a while now - i do it myself on a really casual khaki sportsjacket from eddie bauer. i think i actually read about it first in the roetzel book. (he's also got a good picture of agnelli in there; but i don't think there's any mention of the unbuttoned buttondown - i could be wrong.)

some may say it's an affectation. i like to think it's just another detail expressive of nonchalant elegance.

/andrew

armscye

Reaction score
I deal with Italian companies, and among younger execs who favor the typical tight shirt cuffs, it's common to see either the watch worn over the cuff, or (with metal bracelet watches) the bracelet adjusted very loose and hanging like a woman's bracelet. BTW, these same guys wear lots of olive suits, lotsa tan dress shoes, and pants about an inch shorter than any American would

So was not just Agnellii. It's an Italian thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads