World business section picture of today's nytimes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Thracozaag, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

For those who have seen this elegantly attired man two questions:

a: What is unusual?
    b: Is it deliberate (and why)?

koji

2. wicozani

wicozani Active Member

Looks to me like an unbuttoned, button-down shirt. I would believe it to be deliberate. Didn't Gianni Agnelli also do this at times?

Jeff

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

4. wicozani

wicozani Active Member

I do not get the paper version of the NY Times, and it may be that we are referring to different pictures. I can see the picture shown in the link you posted, Andrew. The bottom picture shows Mr. Agnelli wearing his large watch over his shirt cuff. He was quite well known for doing this. I was referring to this picture of Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, the new Chairman, found on the NY Times website here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/20/bu...ss/20fiat.html Jeff

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

To quote from the article: 'With his flowing hair, double-breasted suits and button-down shirts worn unbuttoned, he seems cast in the same stylish mold as Giovanni Agnelli. Like his mentor, he has combined business ascendancy with the reputation in his youth as something of a playboy. His marriage to Ludovica Andreoni is his third. And like all serious Italian tycoons, he has a close interest in a soccer club - he is vice chairman of the club in Bologna, his hometown - in addition to the Fiat-owned Juventus team.'

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Yes indeed it's unbuttoned, but there's more to it....

koji

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Are you referring to his very square, loose four in hand knot with several dimples? Very nice touch. To ponitficate: there are only 2 rules to looking cool (or stylish, or confident, or elegant, or whatever word your style tribe chooses.)

1) Don't sweat the small stuff, don't care too much,
    2) If you can't do (1), at least strive towards it.

A guy on which everything very obviously matches is not a very cool guy. Very put together, maybe. But anal retentive as all hell.

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Agnelli in his photos favored white Brooks shirts. His successor's shirt is not white and the collar appears too short and too spread to be Brooks. Is this what you mean?

9. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

koji, STYLESTUDENT has hit on the nub of this - why on earth are you being so cryptic? Are you trying to drive hits to that article as the entire styleforum breathlessly ponders what immensely complex meaning you may have derived from the man's suit-shirt-tie combo? Just spit it out, man. [​IMG]

10. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Let's try this riddle again. Thracozaag likes Neopolitan. Marinella tie tied in a Windsor knot?

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Haha, no...actually I noticed on his working buttonholes on his suit sleeve (right) he left one undone...probably to match the unbuttoned collar on the shirt (I think Barbera does this too).

koji

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In every picture I can remember of Agnelli, he always wore his watch on the outside of his sleeve. If I recall correctly, the reason for this is so that he could easily read the time without the hassle of moving the sleeve. Personally, I rather like my watch on the inside of my sleeve; it is a welcome surprise every time it pops out [​IMG]. Luckily, Agnelli never wore a F. P. Journe, because they would have been wasted on him. Jon.

13. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The perils of the internet...

Not that I'd have caught it anyhow, but in the online phot you can't see the suit sleeve. Sigh...

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i've known about leaving the last jacket-sleeve button undone for a while now - i do it myself on a really casual khaki sportsjacket from eddie bauer. i think i actually read about it first in the roetzel book. (he's also got a good picture of agnelli in there; but i don't think there's any mention of the unbuttoned buttondown - i could be wrong.)

some may say it's an affectation. i like to think it's just another detail expressive of nonchalant elegance.

/andrew

15. armscye

armscye Senior member

I deal with Italian companies, and among younger execs who favor the typical tight shirt cuffs, it's common to see either the watch worn over the cuff, or (with metal bracelet watches) the bracelet adjusted very loose and hanging like a woman's bracelet. BTW, these same guys wear lots of olive suits, lotsa tan dress shoes, and pants about an inch shorter than any American would

So was not just Agnellii. It's an Italian thing.