• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Baseball Classic

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's fun to watch but it's not that meaningful.

a) The team's have rules on how much they can use players (obviously a good call, but still it diminishes its prestige)

b) Baseball is the most random sport of all major sports. The best teams wins a lower % of the time than the best team in other sports. Therefore the semifinal and final format, in which its a single-elimination tournament, is really a crap shoot.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I don't get is that the WBC has good baseball. You have near all star caliber teams. You get to see some of the best players playing for a longer time than you normally would. Why don't Americans like this more?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
What I don't get is that the WBC has good baseball. You have near all star caliber teams. You get to see some of the best players playing for a longer time than you normally would. Why don't Americans like this more?

Because it is essentially an exhibition.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And Americans are typically very unfamiliar with the other half of the roster for every team (or the entire roster for teams like Italy, Netherlands, China, etc. It's a nice respite from spring training and early-season baseball, but its just not the same as late-season or post-season baseball.

I was watching last night, and in the middle of the USA game, I switched the channel. My girlfriend was shocked because I am a huge baseball fan, and I am typically glued to the games I watch.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont like the name "World Baseball Classic"

the "classic" part is marsupialed. Its like when the founders of the wbc were coming up with a name in 2006 (lol), they tried to give reverence to the name so it would have credibility.

y couldnt they come up with a more fitting name, like the "world series" ... o wait

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Because it is essentially an exhibition.

Meh. I got no problem with playing decent baseball for the sake of playing baseball.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh. I got no problem with playing decent baseball for the sake of playing baseball.

Me neither. I enjoy watching it. I'm just saying most of America doesn't care because it is an exhibition that proves nothing (no one really thinks Japan is better than the US or the DR despite the last WBC's result).

phildo

Reaction score
I saw the USA vs Canada game at the skydome and the ~42,000 fans were pretty into it. Was a close game and fun to watch.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Why don't Americans like this more?

Because it adds to an already long season, and it increases the possibility of your best players getting hurt before the season starts.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

because they know the Americans are going to lose again
laugh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope the Mets can out-bid the Yankees for Yu Darvish next season...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
no one really thinks Japan is better than the US or the DR despite the last WBC's result.

Um...

714px-Flag_of_JSDF.svg.png

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The short format of the tournament, and its intermittent nature, just don't fit with the natural rhythms of the sport.

Baseball is a game of consistency and endurance, played out over six months of grinding, numbing boredom. No one moment in a season is all that important, but the sum total of all those seemingly boring and insignificant moments adds up to a season. The drama and the tension build throughout the season, and then the playoffs are exciting because of all the work that it took to get there, and then the all-or-nothing style with which those final games are played.

Baseball is a game where you don't watch every game in a team's season. You sort of read about how they're doing, you spend a few Saturday afternoons lazing in the bleachers soaking in the sun and some BP, and it's a long-term diversion. It's like checking in on a simmering pot. You can leave the room for 30 minutes and nothing's really lost. The reward comes later.

The short spasm of baseball that is the WBC lacks the time to really build any drama. The players are not really in form yet. They're not used to playing together. National allegiances (for non-South or Central Americans) are pretty low... I couldn't tell you who should be on the Canadian team vs. the US team. And since the tournament is so short and just held every 4 years, there's just not enough time to build any allegiance like you do when you live somewhere and grow an affinity for the local team, where the players are in the news and on the street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads