• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workwear chinos in Europe

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
I am looking to buy workwear chinos. I'm in the UK. I'm looking at the lower budget end of the market. I wear a 32/32.5 so a brand which makes longer lengths that I can hem or roll is preferable.

What I'm after is khaki trousers with a medium rise, in a regular (not slim) cut. They can be a five pocket design or not, I don't think I mind. The fabric has to be harder wearing than that you would find in an office chino or most casual high street brands. Features like rivets and metal hardware are fine, but I want to avoid cargo pockets or tool loops.

I would guess I'm looking for something in 100% cotton. I'm happy to wear something that starts out hard and rigid if it will last for years and soften up over time. In my mind this is the kind of thing that is sold by actual workwear companies supplying manual trades, rather than by fashion suppliers. A friend of mine had an old Dickies pair that he got when he worked in forestry, and they are kind of what I have in mind. Something durable that will wear in over time.

Any suggestions?

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the UK Carhartt offerings, but in NA they have a range of pants that meet your requirements. No workwear chain stores where you are?

There are, but I'm not going near them till I've had a covid jab ?

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
How about vintage? These guys are located in Paris.

Thanks.
How about vintage? These guys are located in Paris.

Lots that looks interesting here, even if some of them are out of my price range. Nice to see a curated vintage selection that gives me an idea what to look out for on ebay too.

Treble

Reaction score
You could try Stan Ray chinos, or if funds are particularly modest at this time worth checking surplus retailers like Silvermans

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still wear Dickies 874 slim fit flat front trousers. After a few washes they really feel nice and are durable and cheap ($15-30 USD most of the time). They're not haute fashion, but they do the job. I bought a cheap seam ripper to remove the dickies logo patches, too. I do stress that at first they have this.. "gloss" that looks wrong on chinos, but that goes away with a few washes and they break in very nicely.

HOWEVER, I wear like 99% gustin chinos now when I wear chinos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads